Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Cam messed up, Bear?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cam messed up, Bear?

Went up to check my can over the weekend, had been left alone for about 3 weeks. I got up to it and found the battery wired torn away from it, (I have a 6 volt lattern battery rigged up to it) and the solar panel wires torn out also. Got to looking closer and the plastic container holding the battery had 3 punture holes in it, and the cam had the two clear plastic LED flash covers broken out. The one was just shattered, the other had a perfect hole approx. 1/4" dia. poked through it. there was also a scratch down across the cover. Of course, I checked the memory card and there were no pics of what did it. Unless it was just a person being a real arse, it had to be an animal because the cam wasn't locked/chained to the tree so you would think a person would have just taken it and not messed it up. There have been bear in the area, but why would something do that for no reason?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Default RE: Cam messed up, Bear?

I vote bear, they destroy them all the time..I put mine in metal housing to keep the bears away...I think if someone was to damage it, they would of stole it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

could have been a coon too? I've had several cameras destroyed by coons (pictures to prove it).In my experience it's been the coons that are hell bent ondestroying cameras. I've had them open up the case andpull the 35mm camera out, leaving claw marks everywhere. I used to have one coon in particular (i think it was one coon) that was relentless about attacking my $250 35mm camera!

I've alsohad 2 feeders destroyed by bears. bears were able to puncture a whole about 1 foot by 1 foot wide into the thick plastic barrel of my feeder this summer. I was completely amazedattheirpuncturingability.
[/align]
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have gotten a picture or two of a coon on the camera, but the damage seems like a bit more then what a coon could do. I went back up yesterday and hung it back up, only higher in the tree angled down. I plan on leaving up there for maybe a week and going back up to check it.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like a bear, they have messed with mine in the past