Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 No Flash trail cameras >

No Flash trail cameras

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

No Flash trail cameras

Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default No Flash trail cameras

I've been agonizing on whether to go with one of the IR no-flash cameras such as the Cuddie Back. Is there any evidence out there that flash cameras spook game? Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Flash trail cameras

I have a regular flash camera and IR. They both spook deer some what or just put them on alert. I think it is more less what frame of mind the deer is in when his pic is taken that controls what happens.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I have a regular flash camera and IR. They both spook deer some what or just put them on alert. I think it is more less what frame of mind the deer is in when his pic is taken that controls what happens.

I agree completely. I did notice when I placed my cams higher, say 5-6 feet, rather than kneehigh as is customary, thatthedeer accepted thewhiteflash better. Most ignored it, some noticed, but went right back to what they were doing before the flash fired.Some even came for a closer look after the initialflash.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

And some turn inside out. You have to pick your poison. I prefer the quality of whiteflash pics, but occasionally spook deer.

But usually don't

Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the cuddeback no flash, i use to have a 35mm style and the film advance would make noise and spook game.

I wouldn't say the no flash spooks game, the flash I think alerts them, they tend to look then get their pic taken again.

The no flash when it's working I think they can see the IR or something, cause on video or pics they look right at it like its filming....but no spooking.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I have the cuddeback no flash, i use to have a 35mm style and the film advance would make noise and spook game.

I wouldn't say the no flash spooks game, the flash I think alerts them, they tend to look then get their pic taken again.

The no flash when it's working I think they can see the IR or something, cause on video or pics they look right at it like its filming....but no spooking.
i agree i have a moultrie 6.0 the ir 450 when there close within 4 feet they look right at it and it doesnt seem to bother them at all i love those pix i heard to much about the the regular flash and never got one because of the spook factor i didnt want to take a chance at it during the season i think ill pick up a regular flash one now to see the difference there cheap enough if it spooks them ill use it to watch the driveway but i would experiment with what fits in youre budget they are cool
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a guy who posted a series of pictures of deer spooking from an IR camera just a little while back. The IR cameras will spook deer just like a flash camera will.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference which a person chooses to use, either whiteflash or no flash. I think in the final analysis it comes down to the individual animal and its' mindset at the time. I don't think it can ever be proven definitively. People on the other hand will always have their opinions and rarely change their minds.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

This is an issue that will not go away and I think one reason is the advertising by the manufacturers. I've asked some of the trail camera manufacturers to share their evidence of "flash spook" and so far they have either not answered, revealed that they do not have evidence that white flash spooks deer or they have just told me that they know that it does. I cannot find a study that shows that the white flash spooks deer and I have been asking and looking.

One thing I want to mention is that if you get a flash picture of a deer jumping away from the camera then you DID NOT get a picture of the deer reacting to the flash. Deer are quick, but not quick enough to beat the flash. A picture of a spooked deer is a picture of a deer that was spooked by something else, possibly a noise made my the camera. Once the flash goes off the picture is taken, there is not a delay between the flash going off and the picture being taken. Deer are not faster than the speed of light.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no right-wrong answer. I think both can spook an animal. I have sat on stand and watched deer get a picture taken with flash and they never budged.

I have my camera set to take a picture every minute. I've had some pretty nice bucks pose for up to 45 minutes in front of the flash.

Quick Reply: No Flash trail cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.