Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Yikes! My first ever, Hopefully Last! pic >

Yikes! My first ever, Hopefully Last! pic

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Yikes! My first ever, Hopefully Last! pic

Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Spike

Default Yikes! My first ever, Hopefully Last! pic

Yotes. This pic was taken only a few hundred feet behind our house. We got the cam two years ago to put on the deer trails behind the house. This is in the city limits, no huntin. This is also me and my kids fav mushroom woods. We can hear packs of yotes way off in the distance at night when the train whistles blow. But this is the first I knew they came this close to the house.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Yikes! My first ever, Hopefully Last! pic

thats not good you should try to have them trapped
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

cool pic. i hate yotes, they tried to eat my 100 lb lab last month.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live out in the country, but I've shot a coyote from my back porch that was standing there 15' away.

One of them looks like it lost it's tail?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM

it's tail is still there, the angle just makes it look like it's not.

I'm glad we don't have any coyotes around here, well we do, but so far none near my house. I don't want them here... I have a 37 pound pug/corgi mix, an 8 pound yorkie, and two kitties i'm sure they'd love to eat....
Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think its neat to live amoung predators. Coyotes don't scare me and they shouldn't scare you.

True they'll eat cats in city limits - and otherwise.

FH
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

I think its neat to live amoung predators. Coyotes don't scare me and they shouldn't scare you.

FH
They didn't scare Pydpiper in the Crossbow Forum either!

I put on my best camo, (was my best camo) and headed into the woods where I have been seeing a lot of tracks.. I backed up against a tree and pulled some brush against me, it would have been a useless position if I had my crossbow, but since I left it at home I figured it was a good spot.
I have been reading all the sites you guys sent to me, it seems pretty rare that these guys get animals closer than a hundred yards or so, so I felt pretty safe.. I hunched down and let the howler go for a bit, still think it sounds like a drunk duck but the coyotes seem to think it sounded pretty darn good. I seen the first one come up over the river bank, and my heart went crazy.. it was the closest I have been to one of these things since I decided to hunt them, probably 75 yards or so right in front of me, then gone again.
I was far from stealthy when I stuck the howler in my pocket and popped the squeaker in my mouth, I was concentrating more on what sound I was making than what was happening around me, that's when I seen the nasty looking thing about 10 yards in front of me, head cocked to one side and taking slow steps towards me, he was alone I think. All I could think about is how easy of a shot it would have been if I actually had something to shoot it with, and by the time that thought went through my head it was 5 or 6 feet in front of me, I was sure it was looking me straight in the eye. My excitement turned to concern when I realized it wasn't stopping, just walking right to me.. I of course was still tooting away on my squeaker, almost laughing into it in nervousness. By now I knew it was coming for that sound regardless of what I did, so I decided I would grab it by the scruff if it came closer, and closer it came, lunged at the squeaker that was still making noise as I tried to breath through it.
It was in the air when I grabbed it, Damn thingpounced like a cat, I missed his scruff with both hands, one hand had his cheek and the other the top of it's head by the ear.. He was pretty pissed, and I could smell his rotten breath andall I remember thinking is how whitethe teeth were for an ugly animal.It was mere seconds and I had it pinned down under my knee while holding its head to the ground. I had it in a position where it couldn't do any damage to me and I looked around to see if he had any friends nearby, all I could think is why I hadn't read anything like this, and what else could possibly happen. I mumbled something through my teeth about not being a mouse with lots of colorful words included. I took my hand off it's cheek to grab my knife and that's when he turned and got my leg, just above my ankle. It happened pretty quick, didn't feel a thing. About 10 seconds later, neither did he. I learned a few things today, that is for sure.

So, my buyers remorse for buying the cheapest yote call Bass Pro had to offer is now gone, I am a firm believer now.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Spike

[hr]

it's tail is still there, the angle just makes it look like it's not.

I'm glad we don't have any coyotes around here, well we do, but so far none near my house. I don't want them here... I have a 37 pound pug/corgi mix, an 8 pound yorkie, and two kitties i'm sure they'd love to eat....
[align=right]

[hr]
[/align]Yeah, tail is pointing straight down back legs. This pic was taken exactsame spot diff angle.From now on she's not allowed out of the yard during day or out of the house at night by her self.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Spike

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

FH
They didn't scare Pydpiper in the Crossbow Forum either!

[hr]

Okay, from now on I won't step out of the back yard into the woods with out a hand gun on my side. This may be city limits but I'd have no problem pop'n one of them two if we cross paths. It's mushroom time, I ain't given up my mushroom huntin'. sixeight
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 AM

they probably visit your house and check out your garbage. try putting some antifreeze soaked bread out for them but might kill other animals too