Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Yikes!!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yikes!!

Went to an auction today that had several guns advertised. One was a 94 Win. 32 Spl., advertised in mintcondition. I took my ser. no. sheet for reference. The gun was definitely nice but I noticed what I felt was a minor case of extremely light pinprick rust on the left side of the receiver. Hardly noticeable, but not mint. Two 94 Commememoratives with original boxes--one a Buffalo Bill, one a Teddy Roosevelt. Both georgeous. Also a Model 62 Win., very nice, with minor wear. Several others also. The 32 Spl. was a 1956.
When the bidding started, I was amazed. The 32 Spl. went for......$775.00. Unbelieveable!! The commemoratives sold for $1050.00 ea., which wasn't that bad, I thought. The 62 Win. sold for $650. I watched the other guns go for much more than I felt they should bring, but that's JMO. Also, the buyers had to pay a 10% buyer's fee on top of the purchase price. OUCH!!!
What do the rest of you feel about those prices???
Old 03-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yikes!!

When you hear the word "auction" you immediately think you'll get a better deal.
Unfortunately everyone at the auction thinks the same thing?
I have only bought a few things at auction or ebay for that matter, just remember to take the "thrill" out of the purchase and this should slow you down.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to watch the TV shows about auctions in the U.K. I was amazed at what cheap turkeys they were! To make matters worse, the Scots usually bid up items to a higher price than the English! The Englishwere acheaper lot than the Scots!!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Buyers fee??
Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhhh......Yep.... I don't know, as I've never seen this before, but I wonder if it is the way the auctioneer makes his money for the sale. Most of the auctions I've been to before gave a % of the gross to the man. Maybe he just has a different way of doing it...letting the buyer pay his commission instead of the people hosting the sale...JMO.... I've bought guns before at auctions and never had to do this. So, in reality, the guy who bought the 32 SPL. for $775 had to pat an additional 10%, making him pay well over 850 for it.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya I think most auctions can be trouble, esp when somethign good's available.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

all it takes is two kids that want grandpa's gun and the price can go well over the street cost. To the son or grandson it is worth it. I have also seen people get competitive at auctions and just keep bidding.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

every auction that I've ever been to with firearms involved,had someone that was willing to pay a whole lot more for some guns than they could ever get back out of them,I learned quick that unless you were looking for land or a house or furniture that auctions are not the place to buy guns or knifes,I usually do best dealings on the last day of gun shows before every body is ready to pack up,this is there moment of desperation to either make a deal or go home with every thing that they brought.