Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Cam Set Up

Old 12-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail Cam Set Up

does anyone set their camera's out over rubs or scrapes anymore? seems like everyone just throws a couple can fulls of corn on the ground and straps their camera to the nearest tree.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trail Cam Set Up

Cameras that have slow triggers don't work very good over rubs and scrapes.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always found the scrapes to late in the season and they werent in use anymore but this yeari threw my moultrie over a fresh one and got a 4 point and a monster 13 point in the same night. After that i didnt get anything...scrapes are all hit or miss.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I put a camera at a scrape this year and caught four bucks in two nights in mid November but then the activity stopped as soon as rifle season started. I also got a lot of deer pictures at our food plots and mineral licks over the summer and early fall, but I'm monitoring the feeders again for the winter.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 PM

Ive never had much luck getting pics on rubs,, but scrapes are a different story. I get a very large portion of my pics in the fall over scrapes, if I find one early in the season, Ill keep tabs on it for a week or so, if it gets hit on multiple occasions, Ill hang a camera and keep it there until they quit coming to it, usually after rifle season. It does tell me what bucks are in the area, and when I find these large community scrapes, I get more different bucksthan oyu could imagine hitting them. Ithink its funny when some guys talk about a scrape belonging to a certain buck,, every time I put a cam on scrapes I get multiple bucks, and the little ones and big ones will all hit the same one.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

we put a Cuddeback over a scrape last year and got pic's of 13 different bucks using the same scrape. some of the bucks we only got pic's of one time and some would repeatedly show up night after night. this year we didn't have that good of luck, but we did get a few. if a buck is going to fresh'n up a scrape or rub....even the slowest trigger speed game camera will catch him.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in AL wherebaiting is illegal. I have to put mine on trails, scrapes or food plots. You won't see me post "Alabama Monster" and then have200lbs of corn on the ground out in front of the deer on my camera as others have done.

I like putting mine over scrapes. Especially when I first start seeing them. If you can find a community scrape...one that several bucks are using(kind of like the neihborhood fire hydrant and every dog pees on it to mark it)....you will get a ton of pics and almost everyone of them will be bucks. I've left mine up on these kind of scrapes before and gotten bucks all the way up through turkey season using them. We have a late January rut...really the full rut isn't until Feb 5th-10th but the season is out.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do move my cameras around to scrapes, but I use mine mainly to "inventory" the deer on our place. I have never got a "good" deer on camera at a scrape.