Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 does the white flash of camera spook deer >

does the white flash of camera spook deer

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

does the white flash of camera spook deer

Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM

Default does the white flash of camera spook deer

i was wondering everybody's opinion on if the white flash spooks the deer or not? i was thinking about getting a digital camera, probably the wildview extreme 3 it seems to be getting very good reports. what i was thinking about doing though is maybe putting a piece of light orange tape on the flash to kill some of the white flash instead of buying the infra reds for $300 to $400? has anybodied tried this at all and what was there success? any help or thoughts would be appreciated?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does the white flash of camera spook deer

Alot of people say they dont and alot of people say they do.. You'll get all different answers. I've never tried the tape idea but thats a good idea! Mayb esome orange ribbon or something. I'll try that tomarrow night thats a good idea...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I've got over 20,000 digital game camera pictures and I can't find any evidence that the flash spooks deer. I have many pictures of deer that have hung around and had several flash pictures taken of them. I've also watched deer when the camera flashed and they didn't react or just looked at the camera.

This being said, I can't say that it is impossible that certain deer could be spooked. We had a dog once that was afraid of lightning and we could scare here with a flashlight.

I'm not too sure about putting something over the flash. If the flash on the Xtreme 3 is as poor as their first two models you likely won't light up much at all, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Snoogsdad

I've got over 20,000 digital game camera pictures and I can't find any evidence that the flash spooks deer. I have many pictures of deer that have hung around and had several flash pictures taken of them. I've also watched deer when the camera flashed and they didn't react or just looked at the camera.
I can't say that I have 20K pics but I have several thousands of them.I'm in agreement with snoogsdad.I don't blieve it spooks them so bad that they run 3 counties over to get away but I have seen them jump and spook some. If you use a cam alot I think the deer get used to it some what. I hunt in AL and baiting is illegal so most of my pics are on trails or food plots. I have gotten multiple pics of one deer on food plots before but I can say that I get alot more does doing that than bucks. Usually its one pic and no more. Not everytime but more than not. I have gotten the same buck several times in the same and different spots on our property throughout the season. A IR flashis nice but is it worth the extra money...not in my book. I have a homebrew I made several years ago and I just bought a new cuddeback expert that got here in the mail today. The expert has an unbelivable strobe style flash on it. I got popped with it about 2 hours ago and my pupils still aren't right yet.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:12 AM

I think the flash from moultre's scare them!

Have you seen thosebugeyes!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Mississippi Wildlife Forums
Old 10-22-2006, 07:52 AM

I agree with snoogsdad and onebadf250 I have several thousand pics from my cuddeback and moultrie, ad like them I get lots of pics of deer standing there for a while getting multiple shots of them and they dont seem to mind. I have seen them walk in front of my cams while hunting and when it flashed, they either didnt react at all, or simply stopped and looked around for a second and then on about their business. I dont think the ir is worth the money,, unless it was to possibly keep a tresspasser from seeing it, but from what ive heard the ir cameras still light up to where you can see them, the animals just dont seem to be able to see them.