Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
1000 yard Muzzleloading Match - Oak Ridge, TN >

1000 yard Muzzleloading Match - Oak Ridge, TN

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

1000 yard Muzzleloading Match - Oak Ridge, TN

Old 04-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paper patched bullets seem to be the normal bullet.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

For BP I never found anything but Goex in my neck of the woods. Is Swiss really that much better? I have a feeling it is because of all these competitive shooters using it. So what makes it so much better? Is it cleaner, more consistant - what?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
For BP I never found anything but Goex in my neck of the woods. Is Swiss really that much better? I have a feeling it is because of all these competitive shooters using it. So what makes it so much better? Is it cleaner, more consistant - what?
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...s-vs-goex.html
Old 04-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way Way Way more consistent than regular Goex. OE comes close to it. Some like OE better, I aint one of them. I don't use real BP much anymore except in my BP cartridge guns and I use it in my Hawken (when I actually get to use it, you know, when one of the kids hasn't "borrowed" it) but I've been using Swiss for a long long time. Never found a more consistent and reliable real BP.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Spike

Thank you for posting the actual results.

As for powders, before Swiss, Elephant was the choice, prior to that it was Goex -until they moved the plant to MS, then it blew up a few times and I do not think they are currently producing in the states.
Swiss has been the choice of many since it was introduced just after 2000. It has a little more velocity and less fouling, but what fouling is there is harder. All wipe/clean between shots so it comes down to what works the best for each. Compared to Goex/OE, etc these produce a softer fouling and more stuff to remove.
Low - Std Dev in velocity is another positive for Swiss.

In just glad to see the 150 year old original rifles still competing well..
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to try Swiss sometime, but I'm not going to go out of my way to aquire any. I've been using Goex since Moses wore little pants and it works for me. I don't shoot competitively so I could care less.

BPS