Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Powder:  Swiss vs. Goex? >

Black Powder: Swiss vs. Goex?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder: Swiss vs. Goex?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Black Powder: Swiss vs. Goex?

Anybody have experience with Swiss black powder?

I've shot almost two pounds of Goex FFFg out of my GP flintlock with pretty good results.But, Ican't buy black powder anywhere locally and will likely end up having to order some on-line. I have located a guy locally who is a member of NSSA and who orders Swiss powder by the case. I can get in on an order with him, but Swiss is about $8 a pound more than Goex. Is it worth the difference?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Black Powder: Swiss vs. Goex?

I personally have never used it, but the guys over on www.muzzleloadingforum.com that have claim more velocity per charge...That being said, when asked what powder is used by most, it's Goex...
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Swiss is a very good powder. It has approximately 15-20% more power then Goex. It is a very good powder and many rifles do real well with it. Just be sure to cut the powder charge back. The powder might be $8.00 more a pound, but remember if you order it on your own, there is a $20.00 hazmat fee. That would account for a little of the extra cost.

Actually I like Swiss but shoot Goex and Graf's & Sons most the time. It works good for me, and is cost effective.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Try powderinc.com for Goex. The reason there is a price difference is that the Euro is now listed as equal to $1.50. I've shot Swiss and Schutzen as compared to Goex and not having a chronograph couldn't really tell the difference. Schutzen seems to burn a little cleaner. They all do the job and a few FPS one way or the other makes no difference to my flinter.
Rock Lock
Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'm inclined to go with Goex because of the price, it sure shoots well in my gun, and it's made in America. Would sure hate to lose the last American black powder maker.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Semisane,

Swiss is very good powder and does have a bit more velocity for the same charge of Goex. From a 28" barrel a 100 grain charge of Swiss 2f will yeild 1850 fps. vs. 1650 for a 100 grain charge of Goex 2f. This is shooting a 245 grain .451 saboted bullet. I like to use Goex 3f for most of my shooting but I use Swiss for my deer hunting loads.

Swiss burns cleaner and produces more velocity. Swiss fouling does not draw moisture like Goex does. The pan on my flinters stay dry after shooting a shot with Swiss but is very damp with Goex. I don't see much of an accuracy advantage with Swiss but I do notice a bit more recoil with the Swiss. I like all the power I can get with my deer loads so that's what I use.

You can buy 5 lbs. online for about 125 bucks to your door. If you use a flinter get a can of Swiss Null-B ignition powder; 2 cans of 3f; and 2 cans of 2f. Try them out and I am sure you will like them for hunting with. I range shoot with Goex 3f and it's great powder.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man Mossie, that's a big velocity jump. Thanks for the poop.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Yep; it is a significant increase in power. I'm from Pennsylvania and we have a flintlock only season after Christmas that lasts 3 weeks; so naturally I own flinters. The only way for me to get the power that the inliners get with a flinter is to use Swiss powder coupled with a Green Mountain 1/28 twist barrel. The Null-B is a super fast and hot ignition powder for the pan. Longer barrels will burn more black powder effectively. Now if I could just find a 36" fast twist barrel I would be happy. My 28" works just fine but adding another 110 fps. would be great too.