Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Come on guys

Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

My gram would make that for my Pap. She called it dough bait.
He was 6' tall and I remember him bringing home lots of carp. There were two times that he brought home one almost as long as he was tall. I swear I never saw any other carp that big. There was also one time he brought home a snapping turtle that was just a tad over 2' across. He was showing it to us grand kids using a Gram's broom when the monster struck out and snapped the handle in two! He shot it in the head with a .22 and took it to a restaurant downtown where the cook made a mess of snapper soup. He sent a big jar up to the house and it was delicious.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to use just wheaties not all that other stuff. Just get a handful of wheaties, dip your hand in and out of the water crush it up and roll it into a ball onto a hook and toss it as deep as we could get. Hooked an ungodly amount of carp that way and quite a few cats as well. Another good trick is to drop some vanilla extract onto a good amount of worms for cats. Big stripers hit the hell out of that too. Some people soak chicken livers in vanilla extract for cats as well. Never tried that myself but they seemed to get good results.

Never had cats from a pond before GM so I wouldn't know. Channel cats, Blues and the occasional shovel bill were all we caught in the Tennessee river. Hooking onto a big ole 70 pound channel in a little 10 ft flat-bottom john boat was always a thrill!!! Nantucket sleigh ride!!!