Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

do you tumble your balls !

Old 02-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Banned

no. but I've been known to give em a jiggle from time to time.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

A few years ago I took to running mine through my Dillon vibratory cleaner. They come out looking like a factory Hornady roundball and they shoot just fine. Many critters can attest to that.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I cast from a LEE mold. The spur is not that bad out of the mold and I never saw a reason to tumble them. I do know of one person that sends his through a rock tumbler. And to be honest, they shine nice, but look no better them mine. Also he's no more accurate with his balls (I have shot a few of them and they are fine) then I am with my fresh out of the mold.

I do weigh my cast balls and separate them by weight. If they are too far off they go back to the melting pot. But normally they are pretty good.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I cast from a LEE mold. The spur is not that bad out of the mold and I never saw a reason to tumble them. I do know of one person that sends his through a rock tumbler. And to be honest, they shine nice, but look no better them mine. Also he's no more accurate with his balls (I have shot a few of them and they are fine) then I am with my fresh out of the mold.

I do weigh my cast balls and separate them by weight. If they are too far off they go back to the melting pot. But normally they are pretty good.
ok thanks i was just curious? i did cast a bunch of .570's yesterday i still have to weigh the rest of them i made the mistake of adding lead from different sources and it threw the weight off a tad. but i'm going to see if my big boar shoot's any different with the lighter or heavier balls ? thanks !
Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do tumble mine. A few hours in the tumbler and you can't find the flat spot left by the sprue cutter of a Lee mold. When I don't tumble I find myself trying to position the flat spot top dead center when loading. No flat spot - no bother.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. But I'll keep on tumbling and you can't stop me. HA!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I do tumble mine. A few hours in the tumbler and you can't find the flat spot left by the sprue cutter of a Lee mold. When I don't tumble I find myself trying to position the flat spot top dead center when loading. No flat spot - no bother.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. But I'll keep on tumbling and you can't stop me. HA!
well i think i'll try it as well what tumbler do you use and is it holding up to the job ? thanks !!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just scratch mine on a regular basis and it seems to keep them in good shape!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I just scratch mine on a regular basis and it seems to keep them in good shape!
showering helps keep that to a minimum !! lol