Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Just got confirmation!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Banned

Default Just got confirmation!

She's going out today!

If I can get her sighted in fairly quickly and dead on at 100 yards, this will be my new hog gun for the hunt Falcon, my dad, brother and I are going on.

I'll be shooting patched round balls as usual in this but MAY try some conicals. I sold off most of my conical molds so right now all I have left is the 370gr Maxiball mold and a handful of round ball molds.

We'll see how she does. It looks like either steel or aluminum sights. Hopefully not the plastic ones or else I am going to have to tap some traditional sights into place in a big hurry.

Traditions Woodsman Hawken .50cal Percussion with 28" barrel and 1:48 twist. If she shoots like my traditions kentucky flinter, I'll be in good hands.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't have faith in the .58 PRB?
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

Full faith but I wanted something new to try out as well. I'll bring both and possibly swap out every other day or morning/afternoon deal.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I have that exact same rifle. 85 grains of Goex 2f and a .490 patched round ball. Very very accurate rifle. Nice shooter too. Except mine is a flintlock.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't have faith in the .58 PRB?
Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Full faith but I wanted something new to try out as well. I'll bring both and possibly swap out every other day or morning/afternoon deal.
He could also be extending his range a little with those connies too Pete. If he is going sooner rather than later he may want to use those connies more than he thinks. That fat layer built up on top of that shield is a pretty hard pumpkin to pop. I'm far from against the use of PRB but I also know the limitations of them when it comes to penetration issues. Mid winter hogs of any substantial size will require pretty good penetration values. Summertime, shoot away, wintertime, use the best penetration you have available to you.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it's just me... but how many of you feel that a patch box is totally unnecessary on a common production rifle like the one MD has posted a pic.of? I used to keep a jag in the patchbox of my first T/C Hawken but that faded away. I never had a problem with not having one on the Renegades I own. I think they have their place on custom rifles that are supposed to look period correct, other than that I think they're a waste of materials and time and are unnecessary. Maybe they could lower their costs a bit if they weren't wasting time and materials on something the majority of ML shooters don't use. Just my thoughts...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Maybe it's just me... but how many of you feel that a patch box is totally unnecessary on a common production rifle like the one MD has posted a pic.of? I used to keep a jag in the patchbox of my first T/C Hawken but that faded away. I never had a problem with not having one on the Renegades I own. I think they have their place on custom rifles that are supposed to look period correct, other than that I think they're a waste of materials and time and are unnecessary. Maybe they could lower their costs a bit if they weren't wasting time and materials on something the majority of ML shooters don't use. Just my thoughts...

BPS
I have numerous rifles with patch boxes. As far as I am concerned they are for looks only. I have never used them for what they "might have been intended for."
Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke

BPS
To me, they have the same value as a brass butt plate. Absolutely nothing but looks! Them brass butt plates are pretty but with heavy charges they hurt!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned

They mostly are a waste of space and extra weight. In my .58cal I carry a couple dry patches and a wad of TOW for swabbing the bore in the field after I shoot something.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Got her today!

I originally ordered a flinter as I previously stated and they said they were out.

Opened the box and read the label and figured they mislabeled it.

Its a flinter!

I got the lock cleaned up, lubed up with my anti rust lube and barricade on the insides.

She throws a great deal of sparks that sizzle in the pan.

Im still going through the rifle now cleaning it, but over all, I am very happy with the rifle to this point.

Next important step is to clean the bore and take a look with my camera.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.