Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Moose with a PRB

Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Well when I hunted moose in Canada many years back, they sure ran every time they even thought we were around. I chased them across island after island. Not one waited around to challenge me. If he had I would have been a very happy hunter.

Yes moose will attack. Any animal will attack if you corner or threaten it. But many will also always take the safe approach and simply run away from your first.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Moose don't have to be cornered to attack. At best they'll just walk away.

The bull in the above video didn't leave until the guy fired a shot and that was the bull attacked. It sure wasn't cornered. Neither was the cow or other bull.

How many examples do I need to show?

I'm talking about hunting when you're still and quiet. Not walking along like a storm trooper.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Come on Muley. It is exactly what I said. Both moose were called in because it was the rut! And the first video you're only showing just under 4 mins. I watched that entire show with Dwight on that moose hunt. And you can see in the second video the hunter is calling the moose with bull grunts. Yeah he's gonna get PO'd.
In both instances I bet the hunters were downwind. I know for a fact they were in the first one. I've seen many hunts on TV where the moose ran off too. Its hard to find those online though because they aren't as exciting.
You said you chased away grizzlys and ate the moose? How is that even relevant to this conversation? I'm sure that dead moose didn't charge you. Moose under a lot of hunting pressure will run almost all the time.
While I agree that a rutting bull and a cow with calf can be unpredictable I would say that the best thing to do if you come across a moose and not hunting them, the best course of action is to avoid them.

You asked to see a video of a Maine moose hunt where the bull stood to be shot. Here's one.
My question on this is why would a hunter only have 2 rounds in his gun and the rest in his pack? Not real bright. There are others where the moose was called into bow range and shot and ran off afterward.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-09-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pete, I've Moose hunted Alaska for well over 40 years. Probably closer to 50. Moose are about as unpredictable an animal as one can find when it comes to "fight or flight" response. You absolutely never know if the thing will charge you or run away. Your "city" Moose up there have no fear whatsoever of man as many Alaskans can attest to. But out in the wild, some do and some could care less if you were sitting on top of them having a Coke and a smile. As far as Maine, I've had them wind me when I was deer hunting and took off, then others I know for a fact winded me and couldn't care less.

Bronko, your plan to carry the 06 as a backup is a good plan. If your rifle will shoot them well, I would recommend a 220gr RN Interlock for it. Some 06's don't like them. If yours doesn't like anything over 180gr like a couple of my 06's then load up some 180gr Interlocks. And if possible, have a big ole tree very close by just in case you have one of those "oh crap" (censored meself there ) moments. They might be big and ugly but them suckers are meaner than a molting rattler when hurt. And they are a heck of a lot faster than you would think.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Come on Muley. It is exactly what I said. Both moose were called in because it was the rut! And the first video you're only showing just under 4 mins. I watched that entire show with Dwight on that moose hunt. And you can see in the second video the hunter is calling the moose with bull grunts. Yeah he's gonna get PO'd.
In both instances I bet the hunters were downwind. I know for a fact they were in the first one. I've seen many hunts on TV where the moose ran off too. Its hard to find those online though because they aren't as exciting.
You said you chased away grizzlys and ate the moose? How is that even relevant to this conversation? I'm sure that dead moose didn't charge you. Moose under a lot of hunting pressure will run almost all the time.
While I agree that a rutting bull and a cow with calf can be unpredictable I would say that the best thing to do if you come across a moose and not hunting them, the best course of action is to avoid them.

You asked to see a video of a Maine moose hunt where the bull stood to be shot. Here's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNoM6FYyzw My question on this is why would a hunter only have 2 rounds in his gun and the rest in his pack? Not real bright. There are others where the moose was called into bow range and shot and ran off afterward.
I mentioned the moose, because there were 4 of us and all we ate was moose meat. After 5 years I had a lot of experience with sneaking up on moose. I found them the easiest game to kill.

Of course when we weren't hunting we saw plenty of them. Very few ran away. Mostly the youngsters.

All i'm saying is if you're good at sneaking up on game. You should be successful with moose. If you call they'll come right up to you and not run off. There's always exceptions, but that was my experience.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super - in my back up '06 I plan on using Barnes TSX 180 gr bullets over 49 gr of IMR4064. That's what my friend used when we went to Newfoundland. His dropped right where it stood with a high shoulder shot. Mine was shot with 180 gr Sierra Game Kings. I hit him square in chest on a frontal shot then 2 more through the lungs when he turned sideways and put him down. A couple guys heard me shoot the 3 shots and thought it was a semiauto. That's how fast I worked the bolt on my Tikka.
BTW - that bull was standing on a dirt 2 track as we rounded a turn and saw him about 150 yards out. My guide/outfitter told me shoot him now before he takes off. This guy's been hunting moose for close to 50 years so I took him at his word.
But we're getting away from traditional muzzleloading here. I''m sure my .58 will put a ginormous hole in a bull's lungs and he won't go far.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-09-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well the application is in the mail. In fact it might have been received in Maine already! My friend's son (my guide should I draw) told me that it should be no problem getting within 75 yards or closer to a big bull. That should be plenty close enough for the big .58 to do its work. Keep your fingers crossed guys. I'll bring my GoPro and have him record me shooting.
BTW my long time hunting buddy wants me to go to NC on a 5 day deer/hog/bobcat hunt. Can shoot any combination of 5 animals you want. I'm thinking 3-4 deer and 1-2 hogs would be nice. Geez Louise - if I go there AND draw a moose tag I'll have to buy another freezer! That will be #3.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-19-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the application is in the mail. In fact it might have been received in Maine already! My friend's son (my guide should I draw) told me that it should be no problem getting within 75 yards or closer to a big bull. That should be plenty close enough for the big .58 to do its work. Keep your fingers crossed guys. I'll bring my GoPro and have him record me shooting.
BTW my long time hunting buddy wants me to go to NC on a 5 day deer/hog/bobcat hunt. Can shoot any combination of 5 animals you want. I'm thinking 3-4 deer and 1-2 hogs would be nice. Geez Louise - if I go there AND draw a moose tag I'll have to buy another freezer! That will be #3.
Bronko...

You won't need to buy another freezer... just swing by my place on your way home from Maine and drop a bunch of those Moose steaks off with me, I'll be happy to store em' for ya!

I'm rootin' for ya Bud. I hope you get drawn and have a successful hunt!

BPS
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Bronko...

You won't need to buy another freezer... just swing by my place on your way home from Maine and drop a bunch of those Moose steaks off with me, I'll be happy to store em' for ya!

I'm rootin' for ya Bud. I hope you get drawn and have a successful hunt!

BPS
If I do get drawn and get one you can share a meal with me up my camp after a day of making white smoke from the muzzies. Steaks over hot coals of an open fire with some baked taters... My mouth is watering already thinking about how good that meal would be!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I do get drawn and get one you can share a meal with me up my camp after a day of making white smoke from the muzzies. Steaks over hot coals of an open fire with some baked taters... My mouth is watering already thinking about how good that meal would be!
Sounds great Bud!!... Looking forward to it!

BPS