Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here? >

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's really simple. Use only what was used on your gun originally. That includes sights, ammo, twist (including powder), and how you load it.

Very strict, and few want to do it. It is traditional though.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not even going to comment on that and start a heated discussion.

I guess this wouldn't be called traditional: http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...argetRifle.asp

That's a real interesting read. Apparently when they started shooting conical bullets some rifles had a version of the QLA and also had a gain twist on some rifles.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-16-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should read my post again.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You should read my post again.
I guess I don't understand what you're saying. If I take your post literally then if I changed my sights or used a different projectile or load it wouldn't be traditional?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I believe a few of you guys will be talking via Pm about the rules for your new forum. My suggestion is if there are some refinements to not make them so confining that it restricts grey area equipment. Whether someone wants to replace an open site with a peep (old guys can see the front) or use an after market metal ramrod really shouldn't affect the intent on keeping the traditional forum viable. Just my thoughts but if there are some rule revisions please try to consider everything before sending to the mods. So far I am delighted with the participation on this forum and for the most part you guys are taking care of business.

CI
Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I believe a few of you guys will be talking via Pm about the rules for your new forum. My suggestion is if there are some refinements to not make them so confining that it restricts grey area equipment. Whether someone wants to replace an open site with a peep (old guys can see the front) or use an after market metal ramrod really shouldn't affect the intent on keeping the traditional forum viable. Just my thoughts but if there are some rule revisions please try to consider everything before sending to the mods. So far I am delighted with the participation on this forum and for the most part you guys are taking care of business.

CI
Those are my thoughts too. I like talking to other people who have the same desires as me in shooting sidelock type rifles. Those of us that try to get in close and make a quick human kill while hunting or who find ways to refine their sidelock to be able to knock the gnats off a fly's butt at 100 yards.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with how the forum is. It's just not a true traditional forum, and that was my only point. I'm on most die hard traditional forums. I know how they think. This would be what could be called a modern traditional forum. Sort of between a traditional forum and a normal muzzleloader forum.

One easy way to see if you're really traditional is to go to a fairly strict black powder shoot and see if your gun and ammo would be allowed to shoot.

I'd be willing to bet if someone came on here talking about their TC Renegade that was scoped, Sims recoil pad, GM fast twist barrel, and shot T7 and Powerbelts. That nobody would say a word, and it would fit in. Other than where the hammer is. How would it be different than an inline shooter?

Just saying.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Banned

thats why rules must be set.

Traditional muzzle loading is a limited section of the muzzle loading forum which has limits in what is and what is NOT allowed!

Allowed:
Period Correct muzzle loading arms
Modern Traditional Percussion/Flintlock Muzzle loading arms "Plastic stock/ramrod/stainless steel barrels"
Black Powder and Black Powder Substitute Powders
Round Ball & Lead Conical Projectile discussions only!
Open, iron or peep sights
Under Hammer design is Ok

Not Allowed:
Inline rifles
Sabots
Scopes
Pellets
Smokeless Powder
Blackhorn209 Powder
Handgun/Rifle Primers
209 shotshell primers
Jacketed Bullets
Plastic infused conical bullets (plastic ballistic tip and/or base) Example, Powerbelts, Hornady FPB, Federal BOR.

If your traditional arm uses any of the items on our "Not Allowed" list, Please use our regular black powder section of the forum for all your discussions when using those items.

--------

Now see that above? If you want to use any of the not allowed items, use the regular black powder forum. It works fine for members on GBO forum.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am somewhat in agreement with MDs allowed/not allowed list. But being that this is OUR forum WE should come to an agreement of what is allowed. I don't think that this should be a totally traditional forum in the purest sense. For instance, if we're going to allow BP substitutes (which are nothing more than a modern BP), then why not allow saboted or jacketed bullets?
This forum I believe was designed to be separate from the other BP forum and the inline group with scoped rifles and long range desires. I have nothing against that. I have an inline that I keep just for fun but rarely use. I also have several sidelocks that are solely PRB shooters. But I also have sidelocks with fast twist barrels that shoot saboted jacketed bullets mush better than full bore lead conicals.
I don't know how to set it up but I think a list of items allowed or not allowed should be set up in some sort of poll.
That way the majority would rule. Any tie should fall into the allowed category.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion there is a HUGE difference between HC/PC and traditional. I honestly feel that a TC Hawken/Renegade is traditional. It is NOT HC/PC in any way. I honestly feel a Peep is a Traditional sight but I don't feel that a Lyman 57 is HC/PC. I know for a fact that paper patching bullets is traditional in a sense that paper patching has been around since the middle of the 1860's. But Paper patching a pistol bullet is not HC/PC.
I think a lot of people get their underwear in a bunch because something is not traditional and they really are pushing a HC/PC agenda.

I disagree with you when you say "One easy way to see if you're really traditional is to go to a fairly strict black powder shoot and see if your gun and ammo would be allowed to shoot."

The guys that are at what you call " a fairly strict black powder shoot" are not traditional at all and would be offended if you call them that. They are in fact HC/PC bunch that are more impressed with the HC/PC lifestyle. Most of them care little about shooting. They do shoot some but most of them are about living the life. Those guys would look at a Lyman rifle and laugh you out of camp.

There are also guys in the HC/PC group that look at a button on a man's pants and says it is not correct and want him ejected from the camp.
Their shoots offer points on your head gear. They offer points on the type of shirt you wear, and the type of cloth used.

I don't want to be involved in groups, guys, or web sites with guys like that.

You know they talk about being about "traditional" on a web page using a computer or an Iphone. So really how "traditional" are they?

I know a guy that joined the American Mountain Men (AMM). they have a fairly strict set of rules. You have to do a survivor kind of set of initiation objectives to be able to join. They sound rather difficult but the guy I know cheated on every one and became a member. That guy has a lot of money so he buys his HC/PC gear from guys that cater to "dudes". Then He brags about his accomplishments as a Mountain Man while he takes his deer to the butcher to be cut and wrapped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.