Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Brand new to this style of bows -need help >

Brand new to this style of bows -need help

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Brand new to this style of bows -need help

Old 02-19-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Brand new to this style of bows -need help

I am brand new to shooting bows without cams and rollers, so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I want to learn as much as possible and if anyone can recommend any other good sites that I can get more info about traditional, longbow or recurves, it would be appreciated. I really need to learn from the ground up.
Is there a difference between whether cedar is used or aluminum? Do you use aluminum at all? Differences between traditional, longbow, recurves? As you can see, I am very much a beginner and would love to find someplace to start.
Thanks.
Tracker1
Old 02-20-2005, 06:40 AM

Default RE: Brand new to this style of bows -need help

First- have fun! And that's an order.

Recurves are easier to learn to shoot, especially if you're already used to compounds. Lonbows are fun, but can take a bit of getting used to. Well worth the effort, though.

Arrows- stick with what you know for now. Aluminum is cheapish and reliable. I swear by GameGetters (I or II, doesn't matter), but Jazz is good too if you can stand the color.

Woodies- I shoot them because they can be very cheap (if you build your own), and also because local competition rules prescribe their use.

Get some books and videos too- Fred Asbell's books are classics, and Byron Ferguson's 'Become the Arrow' book and DVD are worth every penny.

Then shoot, and shoot some more, Trad is addictive!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Traditional, Longbow, and Recurve Unaided are the three classes of stickbow allowed in IBO Shoots. Traditional means a longbow or recurve shot off the shelf with any kind of arrows, (carbon, aluminum or wood). Longbow means a bow which when strung the string only touches at the limb tips and must shoot wood arrows. Recurve Unaided means a recurve or longbow with an elevated rest and can have a berger button and 12" stabilizer and can shoot any type of arrows. For the complete rules go to www.ibo.net
Old 02-20-2005, 10:50 AM

The best thing if you can is shoot each and see what you like best, I started with a recurve then switched to a longbowm and currently shoot a savannah.

As for arrows, go with what you want, I shot mainly wood, but also like carbon, and will most likely switch to carbon for good once back in the states in a year and a half.

Above all, have fun, even when you have really bad shooting afternoons.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:25 AM

You indicate using any type of arrows (my preference) but are the wood ie) cedar heavier than carbon and aluminum?
I belive the poundage is different also -no breakover like compunds. I currently shoot 30" draw @ 70lbs on compound - probably only about 50 lbs. (if that) on a traditional???
Thanks.
Tracker1