Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

sights or no

Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Default sights or no

i shoot a fred bear recurve at 50lbs pull should i put sight or not i am ok with no sights but would feel better with them what do u think?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Default RE: sights or no

You can put sights on it but that would be a shame. You dont need them so why use um.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Learn to shoot without sights and leave them behind forever. There are a lot of great books out there on different shooting styles such as instinctive, gap shooting, etc. I picked up a book from G. Fred Asbell on instintive shooting when I started and it was a great help.

I know people that shoot a recurve with a release and sights but I have to ask WHY! Is there no humanity left in this world!

Eric
Old 02-16-2005, 04:31 PM

Why not have one with and one without, I shot my compond the other day for the first time in 6 monthes and really enjoyed it so I gonna shoot both.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 PM

It really depends on what you expect out of shooting a recurve. Most of the people I go to 3-d shoots with and hunt with use compounds. thats not the type of equipment I prefer and shoot strictly trad. gear. I think in most circles you remove yourself from the traditional class especially at 3-d shoots once you apply a sight to your bow. If your ok with it, so be it. I made the switch to trad. bows to get away from the modern accessories however many of the materials my equipment is made from is modern. If i were to use a sight it would be on a compound with a release and so on. Just my opinion.

Happy shooting

Jim
Old 02-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot no sights ,
frankly I find sights more distracting than helpful .
Old 02-17-2005, 01:37 PM

slap a stabilizer on there too, maybe some limb savers, a drop away rest and shoot a mechnical release too ?

shoot it traditional, off the shelf, fingers and instinctive the way she was meant to be shot !
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Why not try sights. Don't let the neo-traditionalists discourage you. You might be amazed at the accuracy you will pick up and it will telegraph to you immediately all your form errors. No longer will you be able to blame your misses on a poor aiming point. Try taping a rubber eraser to the back of your bow (the side away from you) and stick a bead headed pin in it. Won't cost you anything and you might surprise yourself. It will definitely improve your non-sighted form when you see how that pin jumps around.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:13 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

If you feel more comfortable with the sights, why not use them? They were very popular on recurves back in the 60's and 70's. Although, if you really want to learn to shoot barebow this is the perfect time to get started. Your huntng season is still probably several months away, which gives you a lot of time to give barebow shooting an honest try. And if hunting season starts coming up fast and you're not comfortable with your shooting you can always put the sights back on.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do whatever feels best for you.