Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

AMO String Length

Old 02-03-2005, 07:02 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default AMO String Length

I finally found a site to clear up the myth that AMO string length for recurves is 4" shorter than the AMO bow length.

http://enjoy-archery.hp.infoseek.co.jp/AMOStandards.pdf

For several years that's what I heard, and believed it, because I hadn't seen anything to show me otherwise. It wasn't that long ago a friend that goes by "Broker" straightened me out. Since then, I've posted the correction, but it never seemed to sink in.

It doesn't really mean much, since there are bows that aren't made to AMO specs, and sometimes shooter preferance doesn't go along with what AMO says. I just wanted to clear the air on this subject.

Chad
(edited for typo)
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 AM

Default RE: AMO String Length

LBR-
Good site! Guess they are saying that the string length should be 3" shorter? Or does it really depend on what you want your brace height to be?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: AMO String Length

AMO is saying that a bow built to AMO specs will get a string 3" shorter than the AMO bow length. That doesn't really mean anything, it's just a standard if the bowyer wants to follow it. There are lots of bows that aren't made to AMO specs, and individual tuning will dictate what works best for that person. When I make a string, I get the actual string length that is working on that particular bow if possible.

Chad