Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String length

Old 01-25-2002, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default String length

I stated before that I am going to replace the string and cables on my bow this winter. I was wondering, if I should order a new string the length that is on bow sticker, or should I take the string off and measure it and use that length? I am really not too concerned about having to reset my bow all over again becouse I was going to anyway.

Another thing, will string stretch effect the performance of the bow over time? I mean, was my bow shooting faster when the string was new and not stretched?

I am probably going to shoot the new muzzy strings this year.

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-25-2002, 03:21 PM

Default RE: String length

It would make sense that the stock length would be best. This makes everything go back the way it was when new, then you can fine tune it. Zebra and Winner's Choice are good strings.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String length

Definitely go with the length on the sticker. I know one "pro shop" that would take the string off, put it on the jig and make the new string the same size. Doing this will make your bow different then what it was designed as.
Bow string material again is up to you. Check out www.bcyfibers.com and they list break strengths, etc. Should help some in your research. As to shooting faster with a new string, chances are as the string stretches you will shoot faster because your draw length increases as the string stretches. That is why I use 450 Plus. It stays the same length I make it at.