Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hunting legally

Old 01-31-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Hunting legally

In my state the legal minimum is 40 lbs draw weight. It seems that the draw weight listed on many bows may be less than accurate. Anyone know what the legal standard is? If I went to a shop and had them measure and document the draw weight at my length does that make a bow legal OR is the warden simply going to go by the weight listed on the bow?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting legally

More than likely if you get checked the warden will go by what's on the bow (never seen one carrying scales). Getting a document from your local shop may help--be sure they include the serial number on your bow. You might wind up having to go to court to get out of a ticket though. Depends on how familiar the warden is with trad bows and what mood he or she is in.

Chad
Old 02-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting legally

Believe it or not we've actually had and still do to my knowledge, have a trooper who carrys around a lyman grain scale along with a bow scale. Beware they are out there. Just make sure you do your part and you'll be fine.