Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

legally blind

Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Default legally blind

Hey folks..need help. My wife teaches and one of her kids is legally blind. He knows that I am a hunting fool and asks her everyday if I will take him. I have personally told him I would. He wants to take his first deer and I don't blame him. The problem is I don't know how to "aim"for him. I thought I saw a scope mount that was off set for that purpose. If anyone has any solutions or a scope mount that would work please let me know. I really want to set a rifle up for this kid and help him get his first one. Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Default RE: legally blind

How blind is legally blind? The reason I ask is I met a guy at the rifle range once who was legally blind, and using a 32x scope to drive tacks at 100 yds.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 PM

BLIND..This kids is 17 yoa..super good kid, but can't see three inches in front of himself
Old 11-18-2006, 02:03 PM

what i would do is i would get a scope with a stronger magnification. The back lens of the scope can be twisted in and out on all scopes. the purpose of this is for different eye sights. for people with bad eye sight you can back it out and it will make the crosshair more plain that way it wont be blurry on your target. if you adjust your scope to compensate his eyesight like this i think he will be just fine shooting through it. if the kid has glasses or contact just make sure he is wearing them when he shoots because i have legally blind friends without their glass but with them they have pretty good vision. hope this helps, im always willing to help and i would as well try my best to get him a deer. good luck.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

He can just shoulder the gun and you can sit right behind him and aim the gun with the scope, help hold steady and tell him to squeeeeeze the trigger.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I guess we are going to try a few different things and find whats works
Old 11-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

You also might try one of the groups that take handicapped people on special hunts, and find out how they do it for blind people! Good luck! It sounds like a great and noble cause!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

P.S.
You probably already know this, but it is worth noting for safety's sake, DO NOT shoulder a scoped gun and allow him to get between it and you! In my younger days I stupidly did this with my daughter!
When she pulled the trigger, I moved, scope and gun moved, she did not! Bad case of scope eye, hard lesson in recoil physics learned!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you take him to the range and find out what will work in a live fire situation. If you start improvising while in the field you will end up with someone being injured or a deer being wounded and a bad experience for everyone.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 PM

I took Brandon to the range today and we tried a few different things. He handles the rifle well. I tried sitting behind him and helping sight the rifle, but that did not work well at all. It looks like if there was a mount that offset the scope it would work well. I heard of laser sighting devices, but I don't know a dag um thang about them. The comments are very much appreciated and I am sure something will work eventually.

Quick Reply: legally blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.