Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Limb Twisting

Old 12-12-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Limb Twisting

Well i left my recurve at my grandparents and it has been up there for 2 weeks and when i left it i had it laying flat. I called today to see if it was still laying flat and they told me that they moved it and it was standing straight up and down againt the wall. It was in a bow case and it wasnt strung up. Im also not sure how long it has been standing up and down. Could this twist my limbs?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Limb Twisting

don't worry, unless it was an extemely old bow(ie.20+yrs) you shouldn't have any problem. I have found these older bows much more susceptable to taking a set if not stored properly. Your biggest storage concern should be temp. Too hot and your bow might delaminate.

Deadsmple
Old 12-12-2004, 10:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A few days shouldn't hurt it. Standing on end indefinately will eventually cause a limb to twist with a recurve. I can't say just how many days it can be left like that, but I'd have it layed back down flat as soon as possible. If you do get a twist, you can straighten it by hand as long as it's not too bad.

Chad
Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 AM

how can u tell if a bow is twisted? I did not know not to leave the bow standing on end and thats how I have been keeping it. Everything seems str8. When strung the string runs down the center of the limbs and fits fine in the grooves below the string loops. Is it easily noticeable or do I need something to measure it?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 AM

What is the best way to store a recurve or longbow?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You can look down the limbs from the end, strung or unstrung, and see the twist if there is one. As long as your string is staying in the grooves, you should be ok. You might try drawing it, then letting down slow, and see if the string still lines up with the grooves--if not, you got some twist.

Chad
Old 12-18-2004, 06:41 AM

In response to Vaporbowhunters Limb twisting questions. I shoot a Black widow recurve and have for 14 years. I have always left my bow strung and hanging on pegs on the wall. I have never had problems with limb twist. One my older Bear Bows I leave unstrung and on pegs or flat in a case. Direct sunlight or extreme heat is a recurves worst enemy. Hope this helps. Happy hunting Ceadershafter.