Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow selection for split limb/solid limb bows? >

Arrow selection for split limb/solid limb bows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow selection for split limb/solid limb bows?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Arrow selection for split limb/solid limb bows?

I have the Reflex Super slam.
Has there ever been any discussion or study on whether or not there may be a more suitable type &/or brand of arrow for the split limb bows?

If so, what are they?

I know about arrow selection as a consumer. Material, length, spine, diameter, etc, . . .but do the different bow designs lend themselves more to one type of arrow or another?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Arrow selection for split limb/solid limb bows?

A little, but it's really the cams more than the limbs..
Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 AM

The type of limbs really does not matter. What matters is the effeciency of the bow. Something many don't take into account when picking arrows. The arrow charts and online calculators are just too generic in my opinion.

Lets say you have a Darton or PSE that is rated for 280 fps IBO and you look on the chart for an arrow in the 28 inch range with 65 lbs of draw weight. Then you take another bow like a newer bowtech that has an IBO of over 330 fps and look up the same specs. They will suggest the same arrow, when in reality the faster bow is putting out energy at 65 lbs that the other bow would have to be turned up about 10 lbs to achieve. So the faster bow would require a stiffer arrow than the other bow. Or the other one a weaker arrow, all depends on what the chart was calibrated for. And they don't really say do they.

Paul
Old 12-31-2006, 01:41 PM

So the faster bow would require a stiffer arrow than the other bow. Or the other one a weaker arrow, all depends on what the chart was calibrated for. And they don't really say do they.

Paul
[/quote]

Makes sense. But we all know that a bows actual speed is less than the repoted IBO speed for a variety of reasons.
Is there some kind of formula we can use knowing our bows speed at the range and selecting the proper arrow? Have any of your rich guys actually bought diferent spined arrows and charted their results? (Rich cause one way would be to buy two or three dozen different arrows {make, material, length, etc} to do your own grass roots experiment.

Or am I trying to wipe a gnat's ass here?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:49 AM

There are two programs on the market right now that work very well. TAP (The Archery Program) and On Target from Pinwheel Archery. I have On Target 2 and have used TAP before. Both work pretty well but take some playing with to get used to them.

They have data bases with different arrows and thier spines and most bows on the market with the effeciency rating already programmed in. Or you can custom set all the parameters if you want. I find they are most accurate if you shoot a few arrows thru a chrono and use that as a referance. If you know the speed of a given arrow weight you can set the program to be pretty accurate.

It is also handy if you want to shoot an arrow length other than what is AMO standard for you bow. You just put in what your draw length and draw weight is and what length arrow you want to shoot and it will either list what arrows will work or you can pick a certain arrow and it will tell you if it's good, or how far off it is. With the online calculators and arrow charts they base your draw length off from your arrow length, so it needs to be the correct length.

The programs do many other things as well.

I can't believe that most archery shops don't use this sort of software, boggles my mind sometimes. I mean that's fine if you have been in it for a long time and know what spines will work with what bows, but this isn't the case in most shops I have been to.

There probably is a formula, but I couldn't tell you what it is. There are a lot of things that effect what spine arrow you need in a compound bow.

I think most of the charts and online caclulators are based on a hard or speed cam being around 300 fps IBO. So if you are shooting a bow that has a faster rating than that you might want to pick a stiffer arrow than what the chart says you should have.

Paul
Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paul,Archers Advantage has come out with a new version that has the bows already in the program and will give you VERY accurate speeds and spines as well.

www.archersadvantage.com