Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Brace height problem

Old 11-16-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Brace height problem

I have a martin dreamcatcher, the manufacturers recomended brace height is, 8

1/4 to 9" . I can only get my brace height to 7 1/2". The bow seems to shoot well.
Is this a problem? what could be the problem? And what steps do i take if it is a problem.

I have been shooting the bow like this for a while, no hand shock.

dreamcatcher #50 @28, im drawing 27., i already tried string twisting, nothing?

thanx for anyone who can give me some info on this. emailed martin, no reply yet
Old 11-16-2004, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Brace height problem

Sounds like it is time to twist up a new string. If you can't twist the string enough to get in factory specs for brace height then it is the wrong length. Don't know that you would hurt anything shooting it braced to low just get more forearm slap and not good arrow flight? If it is a flemish twist string you should see a noticable difference in brace with about ten twists or so. Maybe your string came untwisted some during shipping? just a couple thoughts for what they are worth.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:28 PM

thanks for the reply.

Do you know how i could measure my string now and see if it is correct?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:02 PM

From what I read on the other site you may be twisting your string the wrong way , you want more twists in the string not less. Your string should be around 3 1/2 " shorter than the AMO bow length to start then adjust it from there. Just unstring the bow and measure the string from one end to the other including the loops.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

so let me get this straight.

You can only brace it to 7.5"es but yet it shoots well? If so DONT move a thing! I love to tinker but there comes a point when it aint gonna get any better without some drastic changes.

If you were over the 9" mark I'd be worried, under is fine as long as you dont whack your wrist/forearm, arrow flight is nothing short of perfect and they are going where you want them, leave it be!!!!

Use a 36" ruler to measure you string, works fine.

Also realize b50 will never stop stretching/creeping (I can never keep them straight). One is recoverable, one is not. If you dont watch it, b50/500 will drop your brace quite a bit. With the modern stuff ie dynaflight specifically I find eventually the string stops, however if you unstring it and let it sit for awhile that string wont be the same as before you unstrung it. String it back up, leave it sit for a few days strung (you can shoot if ya like), then unstring it, leave it sit for awhile and restring it, you'll see the brace heigth change however its much smaller then with b50/500.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 AM

Hey guys

Thanks for all the info. I was twisting the string the wrong way! I moved the brace height to the minimum, 8 1/4.

I have also read on some forums , that the brace height for the dreamcatcher, in the martin manuals is a miss print? I emailed martin about this, still no reply. I am gonna call them , today and make sure.

Thanx for all the help guys, i will be a brace height expert in no time, lol
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 PM

I was just gonna say - I had a Martin recurve and had to call them because MY brace height was in no way near what their manual said. Sure enough, the manual was incorrect as Customer Service informed me! I'm not a big fan of Martin anything, but they have been making recurves since Howatt was with them.

Brace height is a toss up. To high and you can lose arrow speed. However, the bow will be very quiet.

Too low and the bow will shoot faster since the string stays with the arrow longer. However, you can get too much of a good thing and get poor flight since the string is staying with the arrow to long...thus making it wobbly...

Also, don't forget changing brace height will affect the poundage as well - not by much, but it does.

G. Fred Asbell's book 'Instinctive Shooting' has excellent chapters on bow tuning. If you don't already have a copy you might consider getting one.