Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Brace Height?

Old 02-25-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Brace Height?

I thought I fully understood Brace height. I mean I do undertand what it is, how it can affect how forgiving a bow is and all, but as a newbie to Traditional. I don't understand how you can adjust the brace height on a Trad Bow. I mean I am assuming you are doing this by changing the length of the String, But this also makes some other major changes to Draw weightand pressure on the limbs. Doesn't it?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brace Height?

Most bowyers give you a range in brace height - usually 3/4" to a full inch - which works best with their bow design. You twist or untwist the string to fine tune the brace height for best arrow flight andleast noisewhile keeping maximumperformance.

The perfect brace height varies within that range according to the arrow spine,how clean your release is, and your draw length. If you change any of those things (like changing arrows or switching from a worn out glove to a brand new tab), it's a pretty good bet you're going to have to retune the brace height.

If you go to real extremes in brace height, like an inch below the bowyer's recommendation to an inch above, you'll get maybe2-3 pounds difference in draw weight. Stay within the bowyers recommended range though, and there isn't any noticeable difference.

Lowerbrace won't preload the limbs as much so draw weight will be less, it will be smoother to draw, it will delay the onset of stack and give you a bit more power stroke. The reduction in poundage will offset any potential performance improvement of the longer power stroke.Go too low and arrow flight gets screwy because the arrow is still on the string as it's trying to go through paradox.

Higher brace will insure good arrow flight and a quiet shot, but will reduce your power stroke,make the bow feel somewhat stiffer to draw and it will advance the onset of stack. The increase in poundage won't nearly offset the shorter power stroke, so it will cost you performance.

Like everything else in archery, the perfect brace height balances good arrow flight, quietnessand performance. I like the way Fred Asbell says to set your brace height. Lower it until you are getting bad arrow flight and noise, then start twisting the string up a little at a time until arrow flight cleans up and noise goes away. I usually bump it just a little bit higher than that, just in case I get some string creep during the day.