Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Question for Traditional Hunters >

Question for Traditional Hunters

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Question for Traditional Hunters

Old 09-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Question for Traditional Hunters

I just wanted to know if anyone else one there first hunt using Traditional Bow Missed. I shoot everyday and I'm hitting 6" at 20yards, On my Opening day of hunting for some reason ( May be Me ) My first arrow was way off. I'm thinking it was me just hurtying the shot. This is My first year/season using a recurve, The rest of the season I will stick with My recurve.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for Traditional Hunters

Yep, I missed a nice Mule Deer buck. I was standing on a rock formation looking down onto a small trail where I'd spotted some good sized buck tracks when scouting the area. That didn't mean he'd be back, but those were the only tracks, so I stood watch one morning. Sure enough, there he was. I had him dead to rights, only problem with that scenario was that I didn't practice the shot prior to making it and shot over the buck by several inches. That one hunt taught me to practice every conceivable shot that might occur. Being a ground hunter, I hadn't given any thought to practicing for a tree stand shot. I figure that I looked at the rack too, which probably had something to do with it too.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll have to let you know after opening day ,
this year will be my first to bow hunt .

Ironically , I'll be facing the same type of shooting situation that Wahya faced , time to break out treestand for some more practice . [8D]
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Missed my first shot with a compound, and my first two with a longbow--I should have been able to make all three with my eyes closed, and all three were clean misses. Just try to remember what you did wrong and correct it next time.

Chad
Old 09-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I missed a broadside doe at about 12yds-shot clean over her back.Realized I shot at the doe and didn't pick a spot.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Miss?!!??? Not once, not ever. Sometimes my arrow has decided to go someplace other than where I aimed it, but I have NEVER missed.
[8D]
Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 PM

I never miss. The target or game sometimes moves out the accurate path of my arrow.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:07 PM

My first was on a hog at 15 yards, right over its back, the second not really a miss but it went through the flank of the mule deer, there was no third, I conected and we ate good for a few months.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

My first, and only, bow kill to date was a squrriel. I was shooting in my gramp's backyard and there were some squirrels running around on the back end. When they'd get in his yard I'd sneak down there and take a shot. There was this one squirrel in particular that kept coming back and I kept going after. I missed him three times from distances of about ten or fifteen yards. On the fourth time, however, I nailed him square in the chest. The reason I kept missing was that the squirrel was standing, and I was aiming at the chest. The buggers are so quick he was gone before the arrow got there. The time I hit him I realized he was going to drop so I actually aimed at his stomach. Little guy ducks right into it. Haven't had but one shot opportunity and deer, and I don't want to talk about that one right now.

Brandan