Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The good old days

Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Default The good old days

I saw Ben Pierson at a Boy Scout Jamboree when I was 12 years old. His assistant tossed ping pong balls in front of hay bales and Ben would shoot them in mid-air. I can remember it today as if it were yesterday. That was also the year that I started driving tractor on our farm to save the expense of hired labor. When I was 14, I saw a magazine article about Ben Pierson killing a deer with a bow. That was when I decided to get a bow. Over the next couple years, I managed to save enough money to buy a real 44 pound Ben Pierson recurve bow. But immediately there was a problem. I did not know how to deer hunt. Over the few years, I got lots of practice walking through the woods shooting at toad stools, dirt mounts, or funny looking leaves. But no deer. I went to college and got married. I would practice off and on, but hunting was far from my mind. At church one day, one of the guys asked if I wanted to go scout for deer. I did not know how to scout for deer, but I wanted to go. He taught me more in one day than I had learned in 23 years. I went with him several more times before season started and I took my first deer with a recurve bow that year. I also went to an archery shop with him and saw the uglist bow that was ever made. It had cables running all over it and it weighted about 8 pounds. My recurve weighted about 2 pounds and was long and graceful. How things change.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The good old days

Where I grew up, there weren't any deer to hunt. I cut my bowhunting teeth on rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, possums, raccoons and the occasional feral pig. Still got the Pearson Deadhead I took my first pig with, nearly 40 years ago.

I still have never got real dedicated to deer hunting. Small game and varmint hunting offer lots more action and I prefer wild pork over venison.

I've shot the dickens outta them compound bows. Even hunted with one a few times. But for real bowhunting enjoyment, you can't beat a good recurve or longbow. Things definitely have changed since I took up the bow, but nothing says I have to change with 'em.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Where I grew up, there weren't any deer to hunt
For a second there I thought you were going to regale us with stories of hunting the mighty T-Rex...

I'll go away now...

RC
Old 07-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a second there I thought you were going to regale us with stories of hunting the mighty T-Rex...
Why the heck do you think there weren't any deer?[8D]
Old 07-19-2004, 03:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I got into the sport when compounds were really getting big, at least in my part of the country--they were probably getting a second wind, and seasons were getting more liberal for bowhunting here in MS. I shot a compound for a while, and enjoyed it. Had no idea what a recurve or longbow was, and had never seen one aside from the hickory saplings I strung up as a kid (never even thought about hunting with those). Those things have made some major changes just in the relatively short time I've been an archer (about 15 years, 12 or so with trad gear). Compounds look less and less like a bow and more like some kind of machine from a sci-fi movie, and the same things that are selling points with them seem to be engulfing the traditional relm--newer, faster, better, etc.

I hate I never was able to meet folks like Ben Pearson, Fred Bear, or Frank Scott. I have met some of the younger "icons", and a few I have a lot of respect for. I guess Byron Ferguson is at the top of my list--every time I've talked to him he's been the same good 'ol boy from Alabama--always willing to talk or listen, always down to earth. I did get to meet Mrs. Mary Pearson a few years ago--sweet lil old lady--and some of the folks around here met Ben years ago and talk about him being a gentleman as well. Hopefully their legacys will continue.

Chad
Old 07-19-2004, 06:15 PM

Hopefully their legacys will continue.
Chad, the legacy of those fine gentlemen continues in all those who answer questions and share knowledge with others learning about this pasttime we call traditional archery. You have only to look in the mirror to see that legacy.

Guy
Old 08-08-2004, 04:33 PM

At a local club shoot today, I shot with a young man that I had helped with learning to shoot traditional.. sold him one of my longbows, as well. He is turning into a great traditional archer. Not just in being a good shot, but being a good man. He spoke with me about how much he enjoys traditional archery and that he is trying to help other begining traditional archers like I helped him.. I guess that's what it's all about.. Passing on the legacy and love of the bow to the next generation of young men and women archers. Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, Fred Bear, Bryan, and the rest of the the great archers are focal points for all of us to admire, but there also the greatness we can all aspire to in passing the torch of traditional archery to the upcoming young archers of tomorrow.

Calabash