Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I think this is a problem >

I think this is a problem

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I think this is a problem

Old 03-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default I think this is a problem

I'm getting real bad wear on my tab, I think caused by the nock. I shot last night for 30-45 minutes and really noticed a bare patch worn into my shooting tab. This is the 1st I've shot my old recurve in at least 10 years. I'm guessing my release isn't that smooth and its causing the nock to dig in to my tab. Is this a reasonable assumption? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM

Default RE: I think this is a problem

Hello, I shoot with a knock set and it wears the heck out of the tab, just the nature, I am thinking of trying tie on.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brass nocksets are notorious for tearing up gloves and tabs. I tie mine with B50 or serving thread. Even use dental floss sometimes.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Arthur, I won't use brass nocks on any bow anymore. I use serving thread, or a strand from an old string.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:00 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

How old it the tab? The nockset could be the problem, although I don't recall ever tearing up a tab (years ago when I used one) or a glove (what I've been using the last 8-10 years) on a brass nockset (shooting split finger). Sometimes I tie mine one, sometimes I use brass, depends on my mood and how much of a hurry I am in.

Chad
Old 03-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The tab itself is fairly old too, I switched to a release for hunting back in '98. I remeber getting some wear on my tabs, it just seemed like this was a bit excessive. It could be after all this time the tab has become brittle and is wearing rapidly.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:38 PM

Hmmm, I gotta agree that it's the brass nocks. I don't use a tab or a glove, I shoot with my bare fingers. Only shot about 25 arrows before I got rid of the nock and used string! That blister didn't heal up for a LONG time.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 AM

You might try resetting your knock and make sure the knock end that opens up is to the rear of the string. Also make sure that when you squeeze it shut, that the knock closes evenly (the two ends that close are not off-set any) and that the closed end of the knock feels smooth to your touch (no burrs).
You also could be unknowingly applying uneven pressure from one of your fingers to the string. Try shooting for a bit and concentrating real hard on a smooth release every shot and see if that makes any difference.
Good luck to you.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, easiest way to get around tearing up your tabs is to go with a dental floss hand tied nockset. I went to using a Cordovan tab, which is just as slick as any hair on tab and is much tougher.

I still use the brass nockset and possitioned the open end to the front of the string because I slightly rotate the string as I draw the bow and the open end ends up to the rear of the string.