Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
The wheels might have to come out. >

The wheels might have to come out.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The wheels might have to come out.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The wheels might have to come out.

This sucks. I have dupuytren's contracture in my draw hand. It started developing two years ago. It had not bothered me shooting untill now. When i try to draw it feels like my hand is ripping apart. My favorite hunting bow is a ipe R/d 68# @28". I tried dropping down to a 60#@ 28" yet it was no better. I built a 55# @28" a few years ago, tried it and it was no good. I even tried a fishing bow which is 45#@28" and it hurt like heck. I guess ill have to hunt with a compound. I cant help but feel as if i have lost something. It is bugging the heck out of me. My hand has not started to draw closed yet but does not open too well. I was rebuilding an old Nagant 7.62x54r and noticed just working with the tools made my hand ach.

Sorry for the whining. I have not been around in a while, and when i do it gets me wanting to shoot. Arrrrgggggg.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about the hand. In my opinion and trust me I'm no doc but wouldn't the same issue arise when drawing a compound? I know it's tough and being a traditional archer you may feel a little uneasy but would think a xbow would allow you to continue hunting and not cause you the pain. I traded my bow in a few years ago after my father had both shoulders done with surgery so he could continue.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Sorry to hear about the hand. In my opinion and trust me I'm no doc but wouldn't the same issue arise when drawing a compound? I know it's tough and being a traditional archer you may feel a little uneasy but would think a xbow would allow you to continue hunting and not cause you the pain. I traded my bow in a few years ago after my father had both shoulders done with surgery so he could continue.
I can draw with my wrist and pull the trigger on my release with my index finger. I always keep a compound ready for emergencies. About five years ago i broke my middle finger and had to go with the compound. Its just not the same with a compound. I started in the 70s with a longbow and have used a compound just a few times. I might see if i can draw and shoot my trad bows with a wrist release. I remember back in the early 80s target shooters using flipper rests with recurves. I might even make a thumb ring and see how that works. Its been years since I've shot with a thumb ring but its worth a try. The problem with my hand affects my middle, ring, and pinky fingers.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you thought about setting up a traditional bow to shoot with a release? I know it doesn't quite have the same appeal but I'm sure it could be done.

EDIT... must have missed that thought in your post above.

If you do try it out, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would definitely be great to hear if you find something that works out for you. Keep us updated.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I know a guy who developed a problem and uses a release aid with a recurve. He's deadly with it
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Made a thumb ring and it seems to be working out. Just need to dial my shot back in. Happy happy happy.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Made a thumb ring and it seems to be working out. Just need to dial my shot back in. Happy happy happy.
Good to hear it!

That would be hard to get used to, I imagine.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad the thumb ring is working out for you. Hopefully that holds up long term.

If it gives up on you, I'd say go ahead and tie on a D-loop and use a release. Could even get a retro leather buckle wrist strap made to add a little traditional flair to it if you felt too awkward about it.

Changing hands would be another option. Takes a little getting used to, but you obviously know the mechanics that go into sending arrows down range, would just need practice. I shoot either hand, different bows, different releases, but just as accurate with either.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

I know by experience it sucks having to use something you don't want too.

I used a crossbow last year with my arm in a sling from rotator cuff surgery. Still a challenge even pulling the trigger with my right arm at that point, but still lost something.

I dropped from 64lb longbows down to 43lb zipper. Year later, and still not 100%. Can't get to full draw on my 55lb selfbows consistently. My shooting sucks.

Is there any treatment for this condition? Pray for you to work it out. I know how much you like harvesting with your bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.