Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Traditional vs compound >

Traditional vs compound

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional vs compound

Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

simply put - greed is what makes people want to "ban" certain kids of archery equipment
Might be the case for some, not for me. Like I said, I'm opposed to weapons that are not bows being allowed in the archery season, at least unless that weapon is more difficult--i.e., spears, atlatls, etc.

If it's not archery season, then call it what it is and let whatever weapon be used in it. Our "primitive weapons" season is a joke.

Chad
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Two wrongs do not make a right. Never have. I totally disagree with the assessment that x-gunners have not had a negative impact. Check it out in 20 years. My eyes have seen first hand the impact in a few short years.

The only saving grace I have seen is, I notice x-gunners generally approach the season like they do thier weapon. And are not out there as much as serious archers are.

Last edited by BCRules; 05-10-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77
simply put - greed is what makes people want to "ban" certain kids of archery equipment

now, understand there is a HUGE difference in shooting a crossbow with sights etc and shooting a decked out compound vs shooting a recurve/longbow .... the latter is much more difficult

but that said, we all have the same number of tags and statistics show crossbow hunters aren't that much more successful than compound hunters ...... both more successful than traditional hunters

so other than having your easy but not wanting someone to have theirs, what IS the reason for not wanting crossbows in archery season, or compounds either?

there are no reasons - crossbows have NEVER been a negative to archery season

I don't know that compounds have either

compounders HATE crossbow shooters because crossbows are easier but when recurve shooters point out compounds are easier than recurves, compounders don't understand that view

funny huh?
You have beat this drum for years, and why? Because you are using one now. You have always had excuses and problems shooting other weapons. Probably gone thru 20-30 trad bows looking for one you can shoot. Probably tried 10 different broadheads, finding one that you can succeed with.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

It is like driving a car, if you can not drive a stick you should not have a license. If you can't shoot all three types of bows good enough to hunt, you ain't no Bow hunter. Odd where these posts are from. I hunted Maryland for about 12-15 years, both Bow and occasionally a day or two of rifle. I quit there when they came up with the crazy multiple tag rule. I hunted public land (Indian Springs area). Between the early inlines and the pigs that had to kill everything they could with their compound, the place was wiped out. There was a late drop one year and I personally saw a guy carry out a doe with spots on it, not streaks but spots. The first day of rifle the last year I hunted there I heard 3 fast shots around 12:00 and that was all I heard in that valley that day.
What the compound and the crossbow did was bring people into bow hunting that should not even be there. There was an Archery only season in PA. for along time. When the compound came along in the early 70's suddenly everyone wanted to "Challenge themselves" hunting with a bow. When in-line muzzleloaders became legal, everybody and his brother ran to Cabelas to buy one so they could "Challenge themselves" with one shot. Now crossbows are legal in bow season and the state is loaded with people that used to hunt with a "Bow" but now they have back problems and need a crossbow. Never mind that you could apply for a special crossbow permit with a doctors note for the last 30 years. What it comes down to is a bunch of lazy bull****ters that want to be known as hunters with out the work involved. Period.