Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Whats the ideal recurve for a whitetail hunter? >

Whats the ideal recurve for a whitetail hunter?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Whats the ideal recurve for a whitetail hunter?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Spike

Default Whats the ideal recurve for a whitetail hunter?

Hey everyone, I am taking my try with a traditional bow this year. Im 5' 7 and would like a 45# bow and would like to get a bow for under 150 that will be ideal for hunting whitetail. Im in a toss of getting a wooden traditional bow or something like the martin take down. I have noticed bear recurves go faster then any other at my sporting goods stores. Are bear recurves like the grizzly or kodiak magnum suitable for most people? Some good suggestions on some wooden riser recurves would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Hardcorehunter16; 06-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice thing about a takedown is as you improve you can get heavier limbs.That said I think you'll have a hard time finding a good one under 150.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

A traditional bow is one without wheels.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Spike

Im aware of that? ..
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Samick Sage is a decent bow, and you can get it for under $150.

Chad
Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I'll second the Samick Sage.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

I love my selfbows, (wooden traditional bows as you say), but not sure I would start out on one.

They can be finicky, and everyone of them have thier own personality. Almost like dating a bunch of different ladies, you got to treat each one different. And much care must be given.

I am not a fan of any of the bears recurves. Some love em. I myself would start with bear longbow. They can be had for under 150 on bay. Martin stick is also a good starter bow.

Longbows, IMO, can be much easier to learn on IMO.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM
DCM
Spike

If you could attend some of the bigger gatherings, have a chance to try some bows it would prove very helpful. For a $150 budget I'd go used, and probably add up to $200 if I had too for a newer, cleaner one, for a Martin Hunter, 62" recurve in 45#. I would not buy a used bow, either too old or poorly designed, not able to use a Fast Flight string. I would not buy a bow having not shot it, or the same model, or very similar.

I think I bought 4 or 5 bows when I first started back, over the span of as many years, until I found the "one" bow for me.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Spike

for 150 or less you get some excellent deals on ebay. I like old Ben Pearsons myself. And they will shoot as good and as fast as modern bows.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Start with a Bear about 58". I collected bows for 40 years and the best shooters are bear and Shakespeare. Under 58" inches and the bow is a lot harder to control, and real short ones looks cool but the "finger pinch" becomes terrible. Anyway, for over all consistancy stick with a Bear or Shakespeare designed for hunting. I never saw a Bear or short Shakespeare hunting bow twist because of poor storage practices, but a lot of the other bows mentioned will over time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.