Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Traditional vs compound >

Traditional vs compound

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional vs compound

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you're half way there.Now try shooting it with a rested aim .
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the_trapperDave
kinda like this COMPOUND that can be drawn in the morning, hung by the string all day and shot in the evening? LOL
compound, crossbow,recurve,longbow, selfbow...shoot what ya want, wont affect me in the least.
So by this attitude, you believe it would be best to make deer hunting, "weapon of choice". Gun, bow, whatever? Wouldn't affect you any?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Spike

I carry my bow even during shotgun season here, so to answer your question, yes.

dont start with the "lets just add guns to bow season" argument. The wildlife agencies set gun seasons and lengths to manage the herd(they do 90% of the work). A 3 month gun season would decimate the herd the first year.

What BillyBob uses on the next 40 has no bearing on my hunt as long as he's following the law and bag limits.

I belive its Primos that has an arm rest to use when shooting a compound, add that to the above bow...no different than a crossbow
imo
Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BCRules
No, problem, I can explain it. Selfbows today are about the exact same was 100's or 1000's of years ago. And are of course traditional. Crossbows of today are nothing like 500AD. If one wants to hunt with a sightless X-gun, with a wooden prod, I say that could be traditional. And I know a few guys who hunt with a medieval crossbow. You of course can't hold the bow at tension very long even with a sinewed prod of elm.

So if a fella has a traditional crossbow, I have very little problem with it. But its a far cry from a 350fps x-gun with laser dots.
what about 350fps compounds? with halo sights? TRIGGER release? Scope? Bow mounted range finder?

crossbows have NOTHING over todays compounds. thats the only point Im out to make.

Last edited by the_trapperDave; 04-19-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I carry my bow even during shotgun season here, so to answer your question, yes.

dont start with the "lets just add guns to bow season" argument. The wildlife agencies set gun seasons and lengths to manage the herd(they do 90% of the work). A 3 month gun season would decimate the herd the first year.

What BillyBob uses on the next 40 has no bearing on my hunt as long as he's following the law and bag limits.

I belive its Primos that has an arm rest to use when shooting a compound, add that to the above bow...no different than a crossbow
imo
I am not asking if you carry a bow in gun season. We almost all do that.

They can still manage the herds with season of choice. Its called tags.

Its either about tradition of bowhunting, or its about animal management. DNR should have no part in making a market for various hunting weapons. That is not thier charter.

Many places have weapon of choice. And they do fine by managing with tag numbers. I am sure you don't want that. Look up the tradition of bowhunting seasons that started by Roy Case and others in Wi. There was a reason, thier club restricted crossbows.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

what about 350fps compounds? with halo sights? TRIGGER release? Scope? Bow mounted range finder?

crossbows have NOTHING over todays compounds.
What about compounds? Are we now talking compounds? Two wrongs do not make a right. We even teach our children this.

I am all for seasons being about preserving tradition, that includes limiting compound seasons, and separate to trad seasons. If not, make it season of choice. At least they wouldn't be hypocrites.

But what it shouldn't be about is protecting hunting weapon industry.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Spike

our opinions differ

I preserve MY tradition by passing it on, not by limiting others in what may be or may become THEIR tradition. There really is room for all to have their own "ideals" without infringing upon others.

One mustnt rely on government or seasons to preserve tradition. Thats done from the heart and soul, not legislation
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

our opinions differ

I preserve MY tradition by passing it on, not by limiting others in what may be or may become THEIR tradition. There really is room for all to have their own "ideals" without infringing upon others.

One mustnt rely on government or seasons to preserve tradition. Thats done from the heart and soul, not legislation
Ok, so now you agree with season of choice. If you believe what you wrote. Deer can easily be managed by tags

With season of choice, you can "preserve MY tradition by passing it on", and "not by limiting others in what may be or may become THEIR tradition". And as added bonus, you wouldn't have to "rely on government or seasons to preserve tradition".

But if you think the seasons should be separate as they are throughout the US now, then your post above contradicts this greatly.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Spike

i really dont care if they are seperated or not. I never felt the need for all to do it my way or not at all. I believe my very first reply said as much when you asked the first time. ill quote myself in case you missed it..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

i really dont care if they are seperated or not. I never felt the need for all to do it my way or not at all. I believe my very first reply said as much when you asked the first time. ill quote myself in case you missed it..
But again, I, nor anyone asked if you carry a bow during shotgun season. Nobody, nor you are asking to do it your way or my way.

Its has entirely no bearing.

You made a few statements that were in error, one that 3month anything season would decimate the herds. Totally bogus.

Its either about tradition or herd managment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.