Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need Chad advice

Old 07-16-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Need Chad advice

I bought a custom longbow at a shoot recently and love to shoot it. For some reason it just seems to " fit" better than the recurve I traded in. I' m getting fair out to 20 yds. or so and have made the jump to cedar arrows and am working in a few broadheads to get ready for the season. I have my nock set approx. 5/8ths above square. I thought this was a little high, but the maker recommended it and field point arrows comeoff very cleanly. Broadhead tipped arrows have a noticeable tail high kick when leaving the bow, although they group OK. Is my nock set too high? I' m shooting a 60" bow @ 51#' s with 65-70 spined shafts (also recommended by the maker) that are 28.5" to the taper. (Wensel Woodsman heads) Thanks oldodgrib
Old 07-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Chad advice

I always figure a bowyers recommendation is just that. A recommendation. It' s not the final word. You have to play with nock location, brace height and arrow spine until you find the right combination for you. Field points will let you get away with a lot, but broadheads are always the truthsayers about how you' ve got the bow tuned.

I' d try dropping the nock point to 9/16 and see if it cures the arrow kick. Keep lowering it until it does clear up.

65-70 spine arrows, 28.5" long at 51 pounds seems a little stout to me, but if they' re shooting good they' re fine.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need Chad advice

Yep--what Arthur said--sounds like your nock point is high. There is no perfect spot on any bow for bace height, nock point, etc. that will fit the draw and release of every archer. They can only reccomend a starting point, then the owner will have to tinker a bit to fine tune it to their shooting style.

Chad