Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Nice Shot!

Old 06-21-2003, 11:30 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nice Shot!

I' ve had a few I don' t think I will ever forget, and some I would really like to! One of the most humbling was this past deer season--I had a " gimme" shot on a doe--not once, but TWICE--and missed both times. Later on, out of the same stand, I took shots at the two places where she stood--first time I got within a couple of inches of a small leaf I was shooting at, second time I clipped the stem at the base of a flower that was my target. How I missed that deer I will never know.

A couple of the ones that I hope to remember until my last breath: an absolute perfect double lung on a rabbit. I was spotting and stalking them on my dad' s property, walking along a gravel road. It was probably 18 yds or so, and everything felt perfect. The rabbit was sitting in a shallow ditch on the side, ready to bolt. I drew, released, and saw my arrow skid down the road--but the rabbit had dissapeared. I about panicked until I ran up and saw it had literally fallen in it' s tracks--it had died instantly. Another was at the Alabama State Traditional Championship last year. I was shooting a fun round with a new friend. I was about " shot out" , and we were mainly shooting for the heck of it. We got to a small target (badger, I believe) , that had already spanked me a couple or three times--I had hit the 5, the 8, and missed, but no 10' s on it. I called the shot before I stepped up to the stake--told Nolan that I was going to " 12" it. Of course he invited me to take the first shot, so he would have something to focus on. I stepped up, proceeded to glance off a small sapling, and you guessed it--pinwheel! The best part was the arrow was off at an angle, so it was useless for a reference point (it was far enough that the only thing clearly visible was the nock and feathers, we weren' t sure it was a 12 until we walked up). Later on in that same round, I accidently robin hooded his " lucky arrow" --lol. It was pure accident, because his arrow was a " 5" in a cougar target, well out of the kill--I got called some baaaaaaaddd names over that one.........

Chad
Old 06-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Spike

One evening last week at around 8:30 pm I was headed for the bed as I have to get up at 2:45 am to go to work. My 5 year old ran to me and said there was a blackbird in the yard and it was my shot as it was to far for him. I figured I would go and take a shot to satisfy him and then go to bed. He has been shooting at them and it has turned into a game for him. I got my longbow and judo tipped arrow and opened the back door. I drew, anchored, and let fly. The 3 5" hi profile chartreuse feathers looked great in the dusky light. Anyway, I hit the bird dead center and my son went wild. Up the steps he went after his mom. She said he had tears in his eyes he was so excited. We went to get the arrow and bird and I stepped off 44 steps. Not a game animal but I thought the shot was a good one as did my son. He' s still telling people about it.

Strutter
Old 07-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Prolly the best hunting shot I' ve made was after a long stalk on a Wyoming pronghorn buck. He was standing at the edge of a big rockslide & I was beneath him...guess you sorta hadda be there. >>grin<<
Old 07-12-2003, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Two come to mind for me right now. A ground squirrel lost it' s head at 40+ paces as he popped out of his hole. Made the shot with a Chek-Mate Hunter II recurve and a homemade Bamboo arrow with broadhead attached. Lots of rattlers that day if I remember correctly. Then, while I was visiting in Idaho I made a fair shot on a hare with my Crusader and one of Troy Breedings arrows as it was at a full run to get away from the dog that was kinda chasing it. What impressed me is that the hare was white and there was lots of snow on the ground, lol. Kinda like shooting at the eye of a ghost, lol. Oh, the dog wasn' t anywhere near it when I made the shot, so no chance of hitting it. There have been other memorable shots (aren' t they all?) on larger game like hogs and deer, but these two really stand out as being nice shots for me.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:04 AM
DL2

My one and a half yard eight.

Was in my blind on opening morning two years ago and he walked along the trail towards me with his nose in the air. I made a mock scrape with some tinks 69 and he came in 1/2 hour later stopping right in front of me. I drew and when I released, my oldest selfbow almost broke in two.

Was the heaviest buck I have put on the scaleweighing in at 239# dressed out.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i haven' t made any kills but the other day i hit a half inch box at 40yards. Another good shot i made was when aiming at a empty milk jug that i am using to help get better at shooting at small game since its roughly the same size. I was either 35-38 yards and i hit between the handle and the body without even touching either. So i guess that has been my best shots thus far lol. Going to try to get my first bow kill soon (rabbit or squrriel)
Old 08-04-2003, 10:30 PM

yah...
one time i had a large buck 10 yards past my baitpile (25 yds) and... I MISSED [:' (]