Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Nice Shot!

Old 06-16-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Nice Shot!

Has anybody had any really memorable shots on game here? Just curious
Matt=------------>
Old 06-16-2003, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Nice Shot!

Nothing like stories about outstanding shots. Of course, if anyone was stupid enough to actually POST their story about an outstanding shot, they' d be sentenced to bowhunting hell for being unethical. No matter what shot you take, you always have to say that it was a double-lunger at 18 yards quartering away with an 800 grain arrow. That saves you the hassle of having to wear flame retardant clothing.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:13 PM

I just gotta ask Robert, does a memorable shot need to be from 800 yards with a 15 MPH cross wind? Or as you would say, unethical. My most memorable shot was a 12 point buck at 15 yards, and I missed, I can recall every detail of that hunt, and was it unethical, will I be sent to " Bowhunting Hell" [>:]? I dont think so, If you want to question my ethics, my farthest shot (with a bow) attempted to date was 25 yards at a stationary doe. Wow, Im some dangerous deer hunter huh? I havent killed a deer Gun or bow that has traveled over 70 paces, unethical, to who may I ask?

Matt =---------->

By the way, who in the heck shoots an 800 grain arrow? If you do, either you are really strong and are pulling around 80 pounds, or your tuning skills stink!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:40 PM

MAKO, read between the lines just a little bit. I was just poking a little fun at the ethics gestapo and their tendency to flame anyone that exceeds whatever absurd line-in-the-sand they draw - usually 18 yards or less with the heaviest arrow they can get their hands on. Different strokes for different folks ' cause that ain' t my style an I don' t believe in bashing people that are kind enough to share the details of their hunt with us.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:30 PM

You evil man Robert. I thought the limit was 100 grains per # of bow weight, or was it 100 #' s per grain of bow weight. Whatever[>:] Sorry I couldn' t make it to the shoot on Sunday. Went to get a new truck. I' ll be working in RI all week and be pretty tough to get ahold of.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

My most memorable shot is when I centered the chest of a squirrel at about ten yards. Why? ' Cause it' s the only shot to date that' s actually connected with a live animal. The rest are just target shots.

Brandan
Old 06-16-2003, 07:52 PM

IrishLAd,

You' re one better than me[:@] I' ve yet to shoot anything with my longbows. Then again I' ve only been shotting them since December

My best shot with a compound was at a running deer at 65 yards from my truck window[>:][] Only kidding
Old 06-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Ct, I was doing pretty good in those days, but that was last year. Due to a lot of working and little shootin it' s all gone down hill. I' m struggling to get it back. I' m aiming for the three inch circles on my new block. When I' m getting close to them at say 15yds then I start into the woods after squirrels and chucks.
On that deer...did you remember to shine your headlights on it and shoot it in the hind quarter?

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is just a joke and in no way reflects my ethics in hunting nor the ethics of the general hunting population. (For the antis [&:])

Brandan
Old 06-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Spike

Was just last week, right at dusk had a hog walk into my set up from the wrong direction, was still light enough to make out the hogs form and see when at full draw, I came to full draw,hit my anchor point held for the brief second, let the string slip from my fingers, feeling like backstraps tonight though raced to my mind, The arrow flew true with one small problem, it stopped in midair!!! and swung in the air back and forth!!! WHAT !!! the hog dissappeared into thin air like they do. I climbed down and walked toward my still floating arrow, as I reached the arrow I busted out in laughter, my arrow had hit a 3/4" vine hanging from a tree,dead center! swinging back and forth. Now that is a trophy ! How many of you guys can hit a 3/4" vine at 18yds or so with a recurve?

I met up with my hunting partner at the trail head he ask " get anything" I said Yep tell ya later

Have a great bowhunting season
Old 06-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

My most memorable hunting shot came the first time I took a compound with peep and pins out to do some rabbit hunting. It was in the early 80' s and I' d just started messing around with compounds after 25 years of hunting with recurves and shooting instinctive.

Not a hair of a rabbit until right around noon. I was walking past a cedar bush and right under it, next to the trunk, there sat a rabbit. Put an arrow on the string, drew, looked thru the peep and centered the pin on the rabbit and it disappeared! I was standing in the bright sun and the rabbit was in deep, dark shade. Holding draw, I looked around the sights and the bunny was still there. I could see it just plain as day. Looked thru the sights again and it disappeared again. I was pretty sure the pin was right where it needed to be, so I put on the back tension and let the string go.

Never saw that rabbit again. Since all I could see was the pin, that' s what I concentrated on until I heard the arrow hit. So I never saw it leave and it was nowhere in sight. But my arrow was sticking in the ground covered with blood and fur. Looked for that critter another two hours. Circled the area around that bush for 100 yards, very tight circles at that, and never found a drop of blood, tracks, hole or anything. To this day I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about that shot. Even though it was ' just' a rabbit, it' s the only animal I' ve ever shot and lost.

Learned two valuable lessons I' ll never forget. 1) Never shoot unless you KNOW the shot is right. 2) If you know how to hit what you' re aiming at without sights, then sights are worse than useless.

So, the first time I hunted with a bow that was wearing sights was also the LAST time I hunted with a bow that had sights on it.

Quick Reply: Nice Shot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.