Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Ordered some weight tubes. >

Ordered some weight tubes.

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ordered some weight tubes.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Spike

Default Ordered some weight tubes.

OK so i took what people have been telling me about weight in a carbon arrow for my long bow and ordered the 8 Gr/In. weight tubes. Heres my figures, tell me if im going to be in the ball park- Im shooting a 55# Martin howatt 28'' draw, i had 5575 GT's that with tips weighed 362.8, way to light from what i have been told. So i ordered the tubes witch should put my arrow weight around 595 gr. with 125 gr. tips. Is that still to light? will the spine still be too stiff? I also ordered 145 gr. tips to try to weaken the spine a little if it is. witch would put my weight aroound 615 Gr.

Think this will put me where i need to be?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Ordered some weight tubes.

ORIGINAL: TLockTerror

OK so i took what people have been telling me about weight in a carbon arrow for my long bow and ordered the 8 Gr/In. weight tubes. Heres my figures, tell me if im going to be in the ball park- Im shooting a 55# Martin howatt 28'' draw, i had 5575 GT's that with tips weighed 362.8, way to light from what i have been told. So i ordered the tubes witch should put my arrow weight around 595 gr. with 125 gr. tips. Is that still to light? will the spine still be too stiff? I also ordered 145 gr. tips to try to weaken the spine a little if it is. witch would put my weight aroound 615 Gr.

Supposally the weight tubes do not affect spine. You need more wieght on those tips. I am betting 175-200gr. If it was me, I would aim for 10gr/lb with the heavier tips. Your arrow flight will not improve until you get heavier tips regardless of tubes or no tubes.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Supposally the weight tubes do not affect spine. You need more wieght on those tips. I am betting 175-200gr. If it was me, I would aim for 10gr/lb with the heavier tips. Your arrow flight will not improve until you get heavier tips regardless of tubes or no tubes.
I have to agree.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Spike

i Have a test kit that i ordered form 3 river. I will just have to try the different gr.s and see what works for me. shoiuld be close tho as far as arrow weight right?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Spike

just to give you an idea of what I shoot. 50lb @28martin x150 i draw 28",goldtip 35/55 cut to 29in". 8 grains per inchweight tubes 250 grain tips. 694 grain total arrow weight. They fly great, I would definitely experiment with different tips in the 175-250 grain weight.Remember carbons are really stiff and you need to weight the front of them to get them to tune. You might even be a little to stiff with the 55/75 at 55lbs. Also the weight tubes didn't affect my flight.
scott
Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM
bigcountry

i Have a test kit that i ordered form 3 river. I will just have to try the different gr.s and see what works for me. shoiuld be close tho as far as arrow weight right?
I would say anything over 550gr is great for you as far as quietness and penetration. So it depends on what point flys the best for you, for what wieght tube you want to use.

I have a rule, for all my trad bows, which is about 4 of em. I shoot 10-11gr / lb, andusually hit same point of impact. From my 50lb martin longbow to a 66lb black widow longbow.