Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Carbons, weight tubes, deflection? >

Carbons, weight tubes, deflection?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbons, weight tubes, deflection?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Carbons, weight tubes, deflection?

Has anyone actually measureda carbonarrows deflection before and after inserting weight tubes? I'm giving them atry and since the tubes seem to be pretty tight fitting against the inside of the shaft, I was just wondering if the deflection will change.

I was using 3/16" nylon cord inthe past butit seems like the cord was compacting and always moving forward. I'm sure the FOC was changing from this. It was also puttinginternal pressure inside the shaft which concerns me.

Thanks,

Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbons, weight tubes, deflection?

Yes.I spined 2 Carbon Express Heritage 150's-one with a 2gr/inch tube(535gr),the other without(480gr).No differance in deflection and a 55gr differance in wgt.They both group together pretty good,too
Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JimPic

Yes.I spined 2 Carbon Express Heritage 150's-one with a 2gr/inch tube(535gr),the other without(480gr).No differance in deflection and a 55gr differance in wgt.They both group together pretty good,too
Good to know. Thanks a bunch Jim.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM

Try some weed eater line. If your arrow is 29" take out a couple for nock and insert. Soyou would have 27",double that, so you have 54". Cut your line to 54", double it over and slide it down your arrow.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Bob
Ive wondered that myself. I have been having fits trying to get an arrow I like for one of my longbows. Ive thought of the inserts, but had the same concern. Im glad you asked.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

THe biggest reason I questioned it is because of how tight it fits inside the shaft. I like them though and they seem to fly nice. Total arrow weightwith the weights (5 grains per inch)is 670 grains.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

I havn't Bob, but will be curious to see your results. Do you bareshaft tune? I would like to see if your arrows show stiff with the tubes. Those wieght tubes are so expensive.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I havn't Bob, but will be curious to see your results. Do you bareshaft tune? I would like to see if your arrows show stiff with the tubes. Those wieght tubes are so expensive.
Yes, I do bareshaft tune. The weight of the tubes was very similar to the nylon cord rope (3/16") that I was using. The bareshaft flight did not change at all for me. The only thing with the cord was that it was moving forward and getting very tight inside the shaft. I would think it would through off the FOC and the deflection of the arrow over time. All the inside pressure that I was getting over time concerned me. The tubes stay put though, so I think the 1 dollar a piece price tag maybe worth it. I would think they are reusable also.

The carbons are finicky thought to bareshaft tune. I have to really pay attention to brace and nock point settings.

The total arrow weights of the carbons with the tubes and the 190 grain grizzly come to 670 grains, with 24% FOC.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

i always thought the weight tubes would change your spine so i never tried them

you guys are saying that you havent seen any change in spine??

id like to add a bit more weight to my arrows...in the 430-450 range right now...

hmmmmm the ole mouse is running on the wheel....actually might be going to the patent office lol!

ok ok....heres my idea.....how about gluing the weight tube to your inset or somehow securely adding the weight tube to the front half of your arrow? no extra weight behind the front half...THAT would give you more weight and bump up your FOC!

am i thinking too much or does that sound like a good idea?? i know you can get brass inserts and probably accomplish the same thing in a better fashion.....buttt just thinking

Quick Reply: Carbons, weight tubes, deflection?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.