Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Where to start cheaply?? >

Where to start cheaply??

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Where to start cheaply??

Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where to start cheaply??

I haven't shot a recurve since I killed my first doe with one back in 1975. That old lady was a beat up Ben Pearson with a crushing draw wieght of 35lbs.

I guesswhat I'm looking for are some low end ideas for a starter recurve. I'm not looking to cheap out to badly but don't wanna drop a wad just to check it out. What about a PSE or a Hoyt and what kind of money am I looking at. I mean what the heck it's only a stick with some string.

I'm doing a good job of softening up the wife on good ideas for Xmass so time is important....
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: Where to start cheaply??

I just got back into Trad archery, the compund thing is great but I needed more and killin deer with a recurve is the deal. I just bought a x150 martin 50 @ 28" I paid 219.00 for the bow and absolutely love it. I havent shot a recuve in 15 years and its already packing good groups at close distances. I looked at every option in the 300 dollar range and this was the best bow in my hands. I was willing to spend more but for shootin this winter this will do and I will enventually spend the bucks and buy a more expensive stick. Its 60" inches long, smoth and quite quick. I have heard nothing but great things about Martin Bows, but im sure others are just as good. One thing to note that 50lbs is alot starting out with its about the most I could handle. IVe shot a compound in the 70lb range since Ive been 16 and had no problems the Trad bow weights are a whole different animal Id suggest going light to start out with. Good luck
scott
Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started out with a Martin as well. They make a good, quality, bow at a reasonable price. Whether or not you graduate to a more expensive bow, you will be well served by a Martin.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is an option.... you can look for an older Kodiak Magnum! The bow is a great shooter and there are a lot to be had for cheap, under $200. Take your time and look around on some of the Traditional websites classifieds like TradGang.com and you be surprised at what's out there!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

I started out with a Martin as well. They make a good, quality, bow at a reasonable price. Whether or not you graduate to a more expensive bow, you will be well served by a Martin.
Exactly Wingbone, very good bows.

There are also many, many bear recurve's out there that you should be able to pick up cheap. If you don't like the bow turn around and sell It on Ebay or something. Inthebox said It right as well, keep it light (45lb range) when starting out. Get good form, consistent anchor points and build those muscles up so eventually you can go up In weight If that's what you want to do. 45lbs will do the job as well on a deer with the corrrect set up.

Have fun and good luck!!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm also on the Bear Recurve for Beginers bandwagon. Late 60's early 70's (green bow with blue stripe, around 45#'s at 28"). Just be sure to ask if the bow has stress cracks or limb twist that are common. Strees cracks that are not parallel to the limbs or meet are not good. If they run parallel to the limbs and to not meet it's OK. Limb twist can usually be fixed, but you may need to take it to someone. I would't pay more then $200 for one in very good condition.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

You can't beat martin to get you started. I started with martin and then went thru like 6-8 bows, and now back to my martin.

You can find martins on ebay for 200 dolllars. And sell when your ready.