Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting? >

PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Would this bow be a good first bow for someone looking to get into instinctive shooting? Will the 50# version have enough power to kill a deer humanely? Also, I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I currently shoot a left handed compound bow... Should I get the "right hand" version or the "right or left hand" version? And how can a bow come in a "right or left hand" version?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting?

Also, I shoot a 30" draw. Does this bow have a 30" draw?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I have seen that bow a few times. Not sure of the weight. I think they are at 35lbs at 28" and 45lbs at 28". I might be wrong. But at your draw length you would be looking at pulling 38-39 lbs on the light one and 48-49lbs on the heavier one. The heavier one would be fine weight wise. Little on the light side, but still good enough with well placed shots and welltuned arrows. As for the draw lenght, the limbs are glass, so it should be no problem at 30". The big question is, how well do they shoot? Ive never shot one, so I can not really tell you.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto on what Kent said.

But in all honesty if you are just starting out then forget hunting with it this year, practice with it a lot and get your form down ready for next season.

Also is your 30" draw with trad gear or a compound if it's with a compound then it will only be 29" with trad.

If you are comfortable shooting a compound left handed then get a left handed one, it's always better to shoot to your dominant eye, tho some people who are left eye dom can shoot right handed very well.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Ditto on what Kent said.

But in all honesty if you are just starting out then forget hunting with it this year, practice with it a lot and get your form down ready for next season.

Also is your 30" draw with trad gear or a compound if it's with a compound then it will only be 29" with trad.

If you are comfortable shooting a compound left handed then get a left handed one, it's always better to shoot to your dominant eye, tho some people who are left eye dom can shoot right handed very well.
I didn't plan on hunting with this bow for a while. I just wanted to know if it was capable of taking down deer if i ever became proficient enough with it.

My "compound" draw length is 30", I didn't even know that there was a difference between traditional archery draw length measurements vs. compound.

About me shooting left handed: I can shoot really well left hand just because I can see clearly though my left eye... My right eye is a total blur...(Which is kind of weird when I'm only 16.)

I'm naturally right handed and I think that I could shoot better right handed with both eyes open as it's all instinctive shooting. I don't know I'm just throwing out some ideas....
Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

8pt, trad bows have a wide range of draw lengths, and automatically fit you where you stop drawing It's very common to draw less with trad than compound, but don't worry about it, if you start at 50# (which is most likely measured at 28") and draw a bit less, you'll still have plenty of energy to shoot through a deer with the right arrow set up.

Can you throw a ball accurately? Shooting RH left eye dominant with both eyes open won't allow you to get your eye over the shaft, but you can probably make it work if you want to shoot RH.

I didn't look at the price of that bow, but something else to consider is buying a used bow that is marketable, so if you try RH and don't like it, you could sell it and go LH. Another option would be to buy the bow and take advantage of Cabelas liberal return policy if it doesn't work out.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

8pt, trad bows have a wide range of draw lengths, and automatically fit you where you stop drawing It's very common to draw less with trad than compound, but don't worry about it, if you start at 50# (which is most likely measured at 28") and draw a bit less, you'll still have plenty of energy to shoot through a deer with the right arrow set up.

Can you throw a ball accurately? Shooting RH left eye dominant with both eyes open won't allow you to get your eye over the shaft, but you can probably make it work if you want to shoot RH.

I didn't look at the price of that bow, but something else to consider is buying a used bow that is marketable, so if you try RH and don't like it, you could sell it and go LH. Another option would be to buy the bow and take advantage of Cabelas liberal return policy if it doesn't work out.

Good luck
Thanks for the tips!

I just have one question... I was looking on ebay for used recurve bows to practice with and some of the bows I found were made 50 years ago! Can you even safely shoot a bow that old? Is there some type of life span a wooden bow has? Like maybe 10 years?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

A wood bow will last a life time if it is looked after properly.

I have a recurve that I was given for my 15th birthday (I'm now 52) and it still shoots as good as the day I got it.

I always unstring a bow when it's not in use.

The only problem I see with buying used is you never know how the bow has been treated by the previous owner specially the ones on fleabay

Always ask if there is any limb twist or cracking of the finish and if the seller has a return policy.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell yeah, the older Kodiak Magnums are sweet shooters, just find a good one that was cared for! I picked a 1965 K-Mag for my son, what a great bow! I want one for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]

Quick Reply: PSE Kingfisher for deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.