Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Weekend at Burnies.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Weekend at Burnies.

Firstly I want to thank Kent for inviting me out to his place.

But boy it is a loooooong drive, 5 hours from my house to his.

We got up bright and early Saturday morning to a nice frost, grabbed a cup of coffee had a shower and headed out on the 30 minute drive to the hunting grounds.

Got changed out in the field and headed into the stands.

I had no sooner got comfy in the stand when a deer started to blow, I could just make out the shape and that it was facing away from and to the side of me, then I head hogs moving around in the thick stuff.

Just on day break I could see there was 5 hogs in this mob ranging in size from around 50lb to about 150lb but unfortunately they did not offer me a shot before moving on.

That was all the excitement till around 9am when a 1 1/2 yr old six pointer came in, I made up my mind that this was his lucky day and just sat and watched him for a good 15 minutes before he moved on.

Shortly after he left in the distance I seen a huge bodied buck moving slowly through the crp field he looked to have had a real nice set of head gear but I never had my bino's with me but from just plain eye sight at around 250yds he was impressive.

That was all the excitement for the morning hunt.

We left went grabbed something to eat and headed back to the cabin.

Around 2:30pm once again showered and headed back for the afternoon hunt.

As we where walking in Kent spotted a big boar probably going 250lb at the feeder, so I loaded up an arrow and started to put a stalk on him but he busted me and was gone.

Around 4:30 or so the mob of hogs that where there in the morning came back, one about 90lb offered me a slam dunk @ 10 yards I drew anchored settled in on him and released.

The arrow was on target for his heart a perfect shot right up untill it sailed 4" low barely missing his brisket[:@].

I thought the game was up but they did not take off even tho this one got a real good scare.

They came back in not 2 minutes later with a big black and white one offering me a broad side shot @ 20 yards so with the low miss still in my mind I drew anchored then second guessed myself and aimed higher and released the arrow once again the arrow was like a lazer the left/right was perfect, I just knew this was a dead hog, right up untill the arrow sailed over it's back with the feathers just touching the top of it's back.

This time the game was over they boogied outa there. All I could do was sit there and call myself all the dumb asses under the sun for second guessing, if I had of taken the first shot I would be eating pork, oh well thats why they call it hunting.

So we headed back to the cabin for dinner and watch Texas Tec get flogged by OU, I think Kent is a Tec fan because he was yelling all sorts of obscenties at them

Around 10 I crashed and left Kent to enjoy the game

This morning was a bust for me I had hogs moving around in the thicket but the feeder decided to take the day off and never triggered so the hogs went towards the river and bedded up.

Kent did manage to fill his buck tag this morning with a big bodied 2 1/5 yr old 9 point.

He said he seen a monster 12 point heading up the trail towards where I was but it must have made a detour on to the next door property and we think it was shot cause there was a gun shot about 10 minutes after Kent seen it.

So all in all I had a great week end even tho I came home empty handed.

Once again Kent thanks for the invite, it was a pleasure to finally meet up with you and spend some time in the woods doing what we love to do.

I do hope you get to test out those Supremes on a hog or 2 in the near future.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Weekend at Burnies.

At least ya had some fun and took a bath!I know Kentgot mad at the game, I got so mad at the game I burned all my wife's O.U. stuff she has posted about the lake house. (not really)
I'm in enough trouble with her, after making her pervert son move.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like if I get up there you educated them but left something for me to educate.I'm ordering a new string tomarrow for the Victoryfrom John,maybe I can get it on and shotin in time,I was planning on the Black Ice anyway.Didn't the hogs know who you are...they woulda died knowing that alone!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

At least ya had some fun and took a bath!I know Kentgot mad at the game, I got so mad at the game I burned all my wife's O.U. stuff she has posted about the lake house. (not really)
I'm in enough trouble with her, after making her pervert son move.
yeah whats this bath stuff every time you turned around?Man thats alot of soap,I better hope for a nice breeze myself. Hey gramps shouldn't that beYOUR perverted step son?Sounds like they saw game and had good weekend!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quit hijacking Kanga's threat, Kent is not going to let us come up there acting like a bunch of drunken Australians ( I mean Okies) .
Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch it I'll let my son call you...he gets under your skin as fast as he does mine!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the buck Kent shot but it he shot it with one of those "training bows"

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Overcompensation is a witch! [8D]

Sounds like a great time!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Here is the buck Kent shot but it he shot it with one of those "training bows"

Yea, I had to pull out the training wheels. I had what I thought was a dislocated middle finger on my draw had. Well, while cutting up that deer, My finger was really bothering me, so i went into the hospital to get some picuters taken. It turns out, It had been dislocated as well as broke just above the knuckle. So now I got that going for me.

When I got back from the hospital and started finishing up on the cleaning. I checked the teeth on that guy. As compared to a tooth charta G.W. friend of mine lent me,he ended up being about a 3.5 year old. He did have lots of nice meat on him. He was not very fat. I thought I was going to be cleaning fat on him how thick his hind quarters were, but it was all meat.

Im glad you got to come out. Maybe Bob or Rowell can take some hogs or deer home when they come out.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a nice deer! How wide was he? 3.5 year old nine point shows there are bucks in your country,and from Russ's report you have pork running rampant,let us know when and maybe we can help thin them out.How did you damage your finger to that point? I've never really had a broken bone so I wouldn't know what it felt like.

Quick Reply: Weekend at Burnies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.