Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Good recurve length?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good recurve length?

if this means anything.....I can draw 75 pound compounds...
It really doesn't mean anything. When i was 16 years old I could draw a 90lb compound back. What I'm getting at Is I've been shooting recurves for 30 years since I was 3 years old (I'm 34 now). I've been hunting with a recurve now for 14 years. When I started hunting with my recurve 14 years ago I started out to heavy (73lbs) and I gained a ton of bad habits with It. To this day some of them bad habits still show there face from time to time. If anyone could of started out heavy It should of been me being I was shooting these bows since I was a kid but guess what, It wasn't the right thing to do. I should of started out with a recurve of 50lbs Instead of 73lbs. If I was you I'd still stick with a lower poundage bow for a while yet. You've got allot of hunting ahead of you yet being your young, do It right and It will reward you much more with form and technique then It has done for me. Trust me with this, bad habits are soooooooo hard to get rid of. Most bad habits come from a Traditional bow that's to much draw weight. We can all draw them back but can we have good form and smooth releases when doing so.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok cool, thanks Shultzy!

So will a 45 lb bow work for deer??i need to get some heavier heads...right now im only shooting about a 415 grain head....
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

arrow not head! lol
Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

So will a 45 lb bow work for deer??
You bet It will. Get yourself some good 2 blade cut on contact broad heads and you will be set.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--45# will work just fine on a deer as long as you do your part. Not just putting the arrow in the right spot, but sharp broadheads and a properly tuned set-up (a wobbly arrow will rob you of penetration).

Pulling 75# on a compound doesn't mean a lot in relation to what you can shoot well with a traditional bow. Even with only 50% let-off (I don't think there are any compounds made like that anymore), you are holding less than 40# at anchor.

I like to tell folks that a double-lung with a 40# bow is always better than a gut shot or miss with 100#.

Chad
Old 11-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to tell folks that a double-lung with a 40# bow is always better than a gut shot or miss with 100#.
Great stuff there LBR!! I'll try and remember this one, well put!!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok cool! Im shootin the 2 blade magnus heads right now...but they are TOUGH to get Razor-sharp....do you have any tips on how to get them there?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A buddy of mine shoot Magnus--he gets them very sharp (and has killed lots of deer and other critters with them) with a cheap carbide sharpener. Magnus also makes a pre-sharpened head called the "Stinger" that gets good reports.

Chad
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys are leading you correctly in the poundage and length area.

I'd just add that I will not go below 60" on a recurve (I have a 29" draw). I never even thought I'd like a 60", but I did end up liking one (Bob Lee).

Unfortunately, I made a 70" selfbow this fall that I have been using all season so the Lee is sort of collecting dust. [&o]
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steelforce has some excellent scalpel sharp options you could consider as well

Quick Reply: Good recurve length?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.