HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Good recurve length? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/270744-good-recurve-length.html)

Bullet Hole Bailey 10-29-2008 10:55 PM

Good recurve length?

I was just curious what yall thought was a good length for a recurve to be??

Thanks!

BHB

stealthycat II 10-30-2008 01:13 AM

RE: Good recurve length?

60" or even 58" depending on the bow

My Zipper is 60"

LBR 10-30-2008 08:13 AM

Depends on the bow design, your draw length, what you plan to use it for, etc. etc. etc. For some people and uses, 52" is dandy. For others, 68" fits the bill.

Chad

Bullet Hole Bailey 10-30-2008 08:20 AM

Take down, 28 inches, it will be used mostly for hunting and a bit of that will be out of a blind.

Thanks!

Schultzy 10-30-2008 10:23 AM

My Take down Is 59". My draw length Is at 28". You should be good.

Rangeball 10-30-2008 12:48 PM

On the blind, depends on the blind size. The 60" martin x200 I used last fall was too long for the ameristep G-30 blind I have. Could only come to full draw in one position, no shot unless the deer just happened to be standing in that exact spot.

Got a 48" bear supermag to correct the problem :)

If you already have the blind, cut a 2x2 or section of pvc to the length you're considering and see if you have clearance simulating shot positions. Trim down until you do, then you can shop from there.

I always here short bows are too hard to shoot, but then you read that short bows are just as sweet with no stacking or finger pinch, like the short shrews, etc. My Supermag at 27" draw has no stacking or pinch, and seems just as easy to shoot as the longer Martin.

LBR 10-30-2008 04:28 PM

On average, my guess for a recurve would be 58"-60" (minimum, IMO), but again it depends on bow design and personal preferances. I hunt from a blind a lot and use a 68" longbow (Ameristep Penthouse blind). I have big hands and a longer draw, and I don't like to shoot short bows--I get a lot of finger pinch. The shortest bow I shoot is a 62" recurve, and I don't shoot it much. I guessfinger pinch issimilar to hand shock in that it depends on how much you notice it/how sensitive you are to it. There's no doubt you have a more extreme string angle with a shorter bow, and that's the cause of finger pinch.

'Course the average hunting shot is well under 20 yds, and you can get away with a lot more at close range than you can at longer distances. You are usually in a tighter spot when hunting also, which makes shorter bows more desireable. I rather just get a bigger blind.[8D]

Chad

Bullet Hole Bailey 10-30-2008 05:40 PM

Ok cool....Thanks guys....

So would a 60" take down recurve at 55lbs sound good to you?

bigcountry 10-30-2008 06:17 PM

At my draw of 29.5", I won't go below 62 anymore for longbow, and not below 60" for a recurve.

And for heavy bows, like my 66lb black widow, I want 66".

Just depends on a few different parameters.

I sure wouldn't start out with a 55lb.

Bullet Hole Bailey 10-31-2008 08:25 AM

Ths isnt my first bow...Im shooting a 45 lb right now and I really want some more power.....if this means anything.....I can draw 75 pound compounds...