Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Any pointers on my first trad hunt? >

Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Bigcountry,
When you bend like that and your bow is canted so far, do you have a different point of impact? It seems to me that the more I cant my bow, the farther right I hit.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure that if I turn the Viper to where it's facing almost directly away from the trail but turned just a bit so that the right front corner is exposed, I should be able to put my left leg against the rail in that right front corner, stand straight, cant the bow normally and it should clear everything.
I am not sure where its at. But on tradgang, there is a video showing all the various positions you can do with longbows/recurves.

The relative position of the cant compared to head tilt/back alignment does not change. Only the torso changes. Kinda think of it as your lower back up does not change whether your target shooting or on your knees.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Next tip. When you draw, be sure to bend down the entire upper body on your left leg (if right handed). People with longbows, like myself, have a tendency to just move the bow arm and you end up hitting the body with the string and hitting high and not getting to full draw.
Duh.[X(] I just figured out what you said here, andno-one has told me that before. I've been standing up straight thewhole time.I need to hurry up and get some practice in before Saturday morning. That couldhave something to do withwhy I feel like the bow is slower than it should be. Thanks for that bit of info.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Next tip. When you draw, be sure to bend down the entire upper body on your left leg (if right handed). People with longbows, like myself, have a tendency to just move the bow arm and you end up hitting the body with the string and hitting high and not getting to full draw.
Duh.[X(] I just figured out what you said here, andno-one has told me that before. I've been standing up straight thewhole time.I need to hurry up and get some practice in before Saturday morning. That couldhave something to do withwhy I feel like the bow is slower than it should be. Thanks for that bit of info.
Just on Sat. I was getting ready to draw on a deer from 22ft or so, and hit my body with the string. I constantly need to remind myself to bend that front knee down.

I know I shouldn't but I periodically go to full draw a few times in teh stand, and pretend a deer is 20 yards away.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Allot of good info here Chief! I guess in my stands I don't have to worry about the bar getting In the way In front of the stand, I don't have a bar there. My stands are all home made hang on's.

About all I can say Is make damn sure that when aiming do not pick out an area, pick out a very small spot. Never take your eye off of that spot your aiming at, that Is gospel! Concentrate like hell and keep your bow arm up after you release. Form Is huge when shooting these Traditional bows. When a person Is In the heat of the moment allot of times we forget what were doing. Once you get that 1st one under your belt your confidence rises unbelievably!!

You can do It Chief!! Get It done bud!!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Allot of good info here Chief! I guess in my stands I don't have to worry about the bar getting In the way In front of the stand, I don't have a bar there. My stands are all home made hang on's.

About all I can say Is make damn sure that when aiming do not pick out an area, pick out a very small spot. Never take your eye off of that spot your aiming at, that Is gospel! Concentrate like hell and keep your bow arm up after you release. Form Is huge when shooting these Traditional bows. When a person Is In the heat of the moment allot of times we forget what were doing. Once you get that 1st one under your belt your confidence rises unbelievably!!

You can do It Chief!! Get It done bud!!
Thanks, Schultzy! I know that the first one will boost my confidence, and I'm going to TRY to shoot for a mature doe for the first one. There are a few groups of deer that I've watched from my ladder stand 50 yards away using that trail regularly. Two mature does and two young 'uns in one group, the mature doe that's STILL traveling with a fork horn in the second, and another group of two mature does and one fawn. That's just the ones that I've seen on multiple occasions.

At this point in my trad game, only the fork horn is safe, and then only because I'd hate to stick my teammates in the contest with that score.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

At this point in my trad game, only the fork horn is safe, and then only because I'd hate to stick my teammates in the contest with that score.
Who cares about the contest Chief. Hunt for you! Zip that sucker If he gives you a chance!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Three tips for a beginner are:

1. Pick a spot.
2. Pick a spot.
3. Pick a spot.

If you shoot over the back, chances are that you didn't follow my three tips.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

1. Pick a spot.
2. Pick a spot.
3. Pick a spot.

I'll follow the first tip, but not the other two. Picking three spots would just be confusing.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Pick a spot.
2. Pick a spot.
3. Pick a spot.

I'll follow the first tip, but not the other two. Picking three spots would just be confusing.
LOL, just keep burying the spot deeper till you can see right through the deer.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Pick a spot.
2. Pick a spot.
3. Pick a spot.

LOL, just keep burying the spot deeper till you can see right through the deer.
I'll add one more tip to this also.

Pick a spot
!!!![8D]

Quick Reply: Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.