Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Any pointers on my first trad hunt? >

Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Okay, it’s time. I’ve patterned the deer on my spot behind my house well enough to know what trails they’re using. Saturday I’m going to set up with the longbow and try to take one the hard way. Here’s what I see as a problem: My climber is a Summit Viper. At any decent elevation, I have trouble getting the down angle I’ll need for a 15 yard and under shot. I considered concealing myself in some thick cover within 15 yards of the trail, but I’m worried about getting busted that way. Any suggestions? What would you do?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

If you aren't comfortable with the angle, by all means a good ground blind or cover downwind of the trail and approaches can be very effective. Keep movement to a minimal, and continually scan as far down the trails as you can in hopes of seeing them before they see you.

Good luck!

Oh, and aim small
Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

If you aren't comfortable with the angle, by all means a good ground blind or cover downwind of the trail and approaches can be very effective. Keep movement to a minimal, and continually scan as far down the trails as you can in hopes of seeing them before they see you.

Good luck!

Oh, and aim small
I wish now that I had an open shot climber. I just can't maneuver the 64" longbow with that rail. I'll probably try the ground. If I do get a shot, I'll be talking to myself like that kid in the movie The Patriot..... "Aim small, miss small........ Aim small, miss small."
Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Patience. Go through your form while you shoot. Pick a spot on the animal (muscle crease, tuft of hair, etc)and shoot at it. Do not shoot at an area.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
bigcountry

I use a viper and a 66" longbow. Trick of it is cant. I can bend at the knees and back and head to where my bow is almost perfectly horizontial.

Next tip. When you draw, be sure to bend down the entire upper body on your left leg (if right handed). People with longbows, like myself, have a tendency to just move the bow arm and you end up hitting the body with the string and hitting high and not getting to full draw.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. I'm getting pumped up about this. The idea of taking any deer with a trad bow is enough to get my blood pumping. Bigcountry, I'll have to go home, climb a tree and practice that. Sounds like a challenge, and a major form change.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 AM
bigcountry

This year, I tried to shoot from a small platform stand most of the time. And I was shocked at how different it was.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,
When you bend like that and your bow is canted so far, do you have a different point of impact? It seems to me that the more I cant my bow, the farther right I hit.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure that if I turn the Viper to where it's facing almost directly away from the trail but turned just a bit so that the right front corner is exposed, I should be able to put my left leg against the rail in that right front corner, stand straight, cant the bow normally and it should clear everything.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I use a viper and a 66" longbow. Trick of it is cant. I can bend at the knees and back and head to where my bow is almost perfectly horizontial.

Next tip. When you draw, be sure to bend down the entire upper body on your left leg (if right handed). People with longbows, like myself, have a tendency to just move the bow arm and you end up hitting the body with the string and hitting high and not getting to full draw.
Good tip, especially if a person has moved from a compound to a long bow.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know the summit has a reputation as a real tree grabber, but if you'll be doing any leaning out away from or into it, you might consider getting a couple ratchet straps and really cinching both parts of the stand to the tree just for an added measure of safety.

That and a good safety harness hook up, and you should be able to find a position you can make work.

Quick Reply: Any pointers on my first trad hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.