Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Have to have a rest???? >

Have to have a rest????

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Have to have a rest????

Old 03-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Have to have a rest????

I am thinking of getting into the recurve bow hunting and was just wondering if you have to have an arrow rest on your recrurve??
Old 03-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Default RE: Have to have a rest????

the answer is no you don' t. alot of people shot off the shelf of the bow. but some people use arrow rests like those flipper types. hope this helps
Old 03-17-2003, 05:45 PM

It depends on how the bow' s shelf is made. There are some recurve that weren' t exactly made to be shot off the shelf. Most will work off the shelf but it' s up to you.
I prefer to shoot off the shelf or my finger and most will tell you it' s the best method for an instinctive shooter. Having said that, one of the very best instinctive shooters I' ve ever known shot off an elevated rubber rest. Guess it' s what you get used to..

Old 03-18-2003, 05:45 PM

a rest will help you tune it better, I would try it without one then put one on and see what happens.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

even a flat shelfed bow can be tamed pretty easily with pressure points under the rest material if you so choose to go with shooting off the shelf. Not only does it minimize torque but it will also take away the need for a radius shelf.

The shelfs you will have problems with are sloped shelfs. Ones that arent prefectly flat or radiused but slanted so the arrow will fall off the side. You can help correct this by building up with leather and tapering it into a flat or radius shelf if you so desire. You can also do this with a flat shelf with a couple strips of leather (make it a slight radius without to much build up). I do believe the pressure point is a better gig but to each there own. Kinda feel the same way about shooting with a rest on a stickbow. Not that it dont work but we go this route to keep it simple. Nothing wrong in doing it, just one more thing to fail for you. Just something to think about during the long winters.....