Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long >

Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Nice! Man russ I'm excited about that bow! I have a check in my pocket with your name on it. Ya know what I'm really looking forward to? Wiring your shop in temps over 100! Now theres some fun!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Nice! Man russ I'm excited about that bow! I have a check in my pocket with your name on it. Ya know what I'm really looking forward to? Wiring your shop in temps over 100! Now theres some fun!
Greg.

I was just out in the shop sanding back the excess glue and I'll tell ya what it is freaking hot in there[8D]

Any to continue the saga.

After sandingall the excess glue off I removed the tape to see how the Walnut and Yellowheart looked under the glass.

The Walnunt has some really good lines in it.

The Yellowheart has some darker yellow patches in it which adds character

Now I am going to replace the tape mark out the limb shape and cut them out on the band saw.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
bigcountry

Looks good russ. Surprised your form is not a reflex or reflex deflex. You ever build a reflex/deflex?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Surprised your form is not a reflex or reflex deflex.
Me too mate

You ever build a reflex/deflex?
Thats going to be the next form I make well after the form for a take down long bow

Ok here are the limbs all marked out for cutting.

Now here they are rough cut.

Now sanded to the line

While I had the sander out I feathered the ends of the center overlay ready to be put on.

Cant do too much more at the moment Greg is here doing the wiring to the shop not to mention watching like a hawke to make sure I dont screw anything up

I will get the string grooves done and tillered when he is finished in the shop that way we wont be tripping over each other.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good write up on the build Russ! Photo's help me understand what your doing when we talk about it.What I don't understand is when you said things are bigger down under...what happened to you? Must be the sampler size aussie.I hope Greg writes the same memo on his check as I did when I sent you one...sexual favors! Nobody at bank believes he could get paid for it!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rowel I wish I'd read your post before I wrote the check for the material! I'm fixin to leave Russ' house now. Hes a slave driver! I'm going home.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok have just filed the string grooves and here she is strung up for the first time.

Put it on the tiller stick the good news is no limb twist but one limb needs a little work to get it to pull the same as the other.

The stiffer of the limbs will be the bottom limb when all is said and done
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Dang Russ that bow is looking good. I think Greg is gonna be one happy Customer. So have you figured out how your gonna get that nice new Kanga logo on it? And what should ya name this model? Looking very very good.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Its looking awsome. Are you using two parallel lams as a core sandwiched between two tapered? What taper/tapers are you using, and what weight are you shooting for?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like Russ is getting it down to a science in the new shop! Now if he can sell a few maybe he can afford a air conditioner/heater for the shop...then Greg would stick around more and would make working more comfy year round!

Quick Reply: Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.