Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Amazing Weekend

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Amazing Weekend

The STA (Southern Traditional Archery Association--sounds big, but it's actually a fairly small club) had their charity shoot for Catch-a-Dream this past weekend. About 140 shooters (if you shot two classes you were counted as two shooters, if you shot an extra fun round you counted as another shooter, etc.) total. Last count, we raised almost $6,000 dollars for Catch-a-Dream--and in the poorest state in the union!

It was amazing--it was obvious that most of the folks there didn't have a lot of money. A lot of older bows, a lot of older vehicles--but they dug deep.

If you aren't familiar with Catch-a-Dream, look it up when you get time please. Short description, they took up the slack where Make-a-Wish dropped the ball under anti-gun and anti-hunting pressure. They make it possible for terminally ill kids who want to go on big hunting or fishing trip to go--every expense is paid for them and whoever goes with them from the time they leave their home until they return, including having their trophies mounted. It goes a lot farther than it seems--it's amazing therapy for the child, and the child's family, not to mention the memories--they send photos, a big framed collage of pics taken on the trip, etc. etc. etc. They go to great lengths to take care of these kids--one who was in really bad shape got his deer mount back 36 hours after he killed it. This child got to admire his trophy less than three weeks before he passed on.

One of the Catch-a-Dream kids was at the tournament--his lukemia was in remission. He was given a selfbow and some arrows--you never saw a kid that was so happy--just smiling all the time--and shooting the string off that bow!

The stories are heart-breakers--like the kid with spinal cancer who's dad up and left when his son was diagnosed. This kid was all smiles on his hunt, except when he broke down and cried thanking the folks that were with him--he called them his three "new dads". He lived about 6 months after his dream hunt, where he got a huge whitetail. One little girl wanted to go fishing, either for "a big catfish, or a mermaid!"--she was six years old, and too sick to go--she never recovered enough to go on her trip, but her parents said that the thoughts of that trip kept her spirits up.

I know we think times are tough, gas is too high, etc. etc. etc.--but I encourage all of you to take a look at www.catchadream.org . This is a very worthwhile charity. I know I have a lot to do before next year's fund raiser.

Chad
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Amazing Weekend

Chad.

Thats incredible thanks for sharing and I will be looking into it further.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are some sad stories. Congrats on your participation. We'll keep the charity in mind in our contributions!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Dadgone chad, your always going to a cool shoot somewhere. Glad you had a good time for a great event.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I'm really lucky BC--I don't have a lot of money, but I have a very understanding wife and a kid that loves to go shoot. We usually have to travel a few hours, but other than the gas it doesn't cost that much--we take food and drinks and a tent, and try to avoid the vendors as much as we can! lol

After learning what I did this past weekend, this shoot has become priority for me. Besides being a great time, it's for a great cause.

Chad
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both my nephews were born with Crouzon's Syndrome, a craniofacial defect. They both had multiple surgeries at Childrens Medical Center in Dallas and, of course, I have visted them there. I want to tell you, walking into that place and seeing those desperately ill kids will definitely work on your emotions.

Kudos to the Catch A Dream organization!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I didn't even think to mention that if any of you know of a kid that could benefit from Catch-a-Dream, please contact them. I'm pretty sure the criteria is on the site--pretty much the child has to be 18 or younger, and not be expected to reach their 19th birthday to qualify. There is a form for their doctor to fill out.

Chad
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LBR

I'm really lucky BC--I don't have a lot of money, but I have a very understanding wife and a kid that loves to go shoot. We usually have to travel a few hours, but other than the gas it doesn't cost that much--we take food and drinks and a tent, and try to avoid the vendors as much as we can! lol

After learning what I did this past weekend, this shoot has become priority for me. Besides being a great time, it's for a great cause.

Chad
You sound like you are a very lucky man. I wished I lived closer. I wouldn't mind hangin with you at a few shoots.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chad-It sounds like a great time and that it was for a great cause. Kudos to you and all involved. One of our local clubs back home switched their charity shoot to Catch A Dream after Make A Wish pulled their bonehead stunt. The charity really helps out alot of kids.