Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow draw weight

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Longbow draw weight

I'm shooting a longbow right now with a 66#@28" draw rating. My draw is a consistent 31 inches (I'm 6'4"). The only arrows I got to shoot were a set of short grizzly sticks and I'm interested in making my own cedar shafts. what spine weight would I be drawing at on this bow? Stacking is pretty amplified at that draw weight, is it not?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Longbow draw weight

Depending on the cut,60-65 for sideshelf, 65-70 for center cut.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Depending on the cut,60-65 for sideshelf, 65-70 for center cut.
Isn't that for a selfbow. But for if its a centershot glass bow, I suggest 90# range.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 PM

I work in Alaska and need a new set of arrows for this bow to shoot at targets in the tundra at low points in the day. I bought this from a man intent on shooting a moose in Alaska with it that never got around to the hunt. I shot grizzly sticks and was very accurate with them out to a number of yardages, but am interested in shooting wood to really get into the lifestyle of a longbow, the grizzly sticks don't appeal to me however durable and convenient they are. should I get used to a shorter anchor, or are there good pre-fletched arrows out there I could buy a dozen of that wouldn't be underspined for such a large draw weight?

I'm a young kid, 21 years old. not to pull any macho BS or anything but I'm a collegiate varsity oarsmen, so my back muscles are definitely up to the task. I've shot this bow for several months straight up in AK the last few years and feel the heavy draw weight isn't much of a disadvantage to me - I just want my material to perform when I get it is all. any ideas fellas?

p.s. it's a side shelf laminate
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 AM
bigcountry

Let me put it this way. I can shoot a 2216 out of my 66#@29" longbow with 125gr tips. Thats the same asa 84-86# spined cedar. Your at least drawing 72# if your hitting 31" string to "back" (not belly). If its stacking (which is artificial wieght after stack), then you are close to 6 more pounds than my bows. I suggest a 90# cedar. Lots of people make em.

I recently got Paul Jolon, http://www.elitearrows.com/to make some arrows, and they were quality shafts. He will make you what you want.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

As suggested,you can get by with a stiffer spine for center cut bows andwill need alighter spine for knuckle shooting, or bows that are not shot through the riser. Its hard to say a perfect weight. Id suggest you get some close as you can, B.C. has made some good suggestions, then tune the arrow to the bow. Get them rather long, since you have a gorrilla draw (lol. So do I, im 6'4" with just over a 30" draw myslef) and change up the head weight or cut the shafts to tune them. All in respect to bare shaft readings. Good luck.