Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need some advice...

Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some advice...

I'm about to order some broadheads for the longbow. I'm going with Silver Flames, and at almost $80 per 3-pack, I want to make sure I get this right the first time. My 2117's, with 46 grain inserts and a 145 grain point are way too stiff. I know this, but I keep practicing with them anyway. Also, the one time I chronographed them, I was only getting 170 fps... they weigh 600 grains. I mention the slow speed because I know I'm going to stick to a heavier 2 blade head because of that.

I love the way the POC shafts shoot, but they only weigh 495 grains total. I don't have any confidence in that arrow weight for hunting with a 55 pound bow.

Now that I can pull a halfway decent group together, I need to get the arrows I'm going to hunt with and start practicing hard with them.

I'm thinking Gold Tip 3555's cut down a little and 180 grain Silver Flames. Does that sound about right? Also, I can use the GT weight system to tweak the arrow, can't I?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some advice...

A 495gr arrow off a 55# bow will absolutely blow thru any deer your likely to hit.If the POC's are accurate and flying true,use them and be confident in them
Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
bigcountry

I definately say the wieght system is the way to go to tune the arrow to the bow. I just think I would hold off on ordering the BH yet and try field points instead. I got a set of FP's from 100-250gr just for the testing. also, you just can't beat a good magnus head.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

A 495gr arrow off a 55# bow will absolutely blow thru any deer your likely to hit.If the POC's are accurate and flying true,use them and be confident in them
If that's the case, then the dozen POC shafts I've got are awsome flyers. The only problem I have is the 125 grain point. Sure does seem light, but they do fly great. I might be able to go a little heavier on the point weight.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could never justify that much for a broadhead....they're beautiful and sharp and all that but there are PLENTY of extremely well made sharp heads on the Market that you could get a bunch more of for much less$$.

Pull the bleeder blade off the Muzzy 220gr Phantoms for a 200gr solid as a rock 2 blade head at a fraction of the cost. Sharp too.

I have Magnus Stingers and Steelforce premiersfor the Longbow, and Muzzy Phantoms and Magnus Snuffers for the recurves........I absolutely don't want for any other broadheads.

I would pick a stinger or a Phantom over the Silver Flames everyday because IMO they'll do everybit as good of a job without damage to the head and you could spend the extra money on some more arrows.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I definately say the wieght system is the way to go to tune the arrow to the bow. I just think I would hold off on ordering the BH yet and try field points instead. I got a set of FP's from 100-250gr just for the testing. also, you just can't beat a good magnus head.
I know I should wait, and I also know there are less expensive heads that'll do the job. I sure love the looks of those Silver Flames, though. I may still talk myself out of spending that kind of money for just broadheads when I could get a dozen decent arrows and decent broadheads for the same price.

Where do you go to get heavier field points??? 125 grains is the heaviest I can find without special ordering. So, I guess the next question is who can I orderthem from?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I could never justify that much for a broadhead....they're beautiful and sharp and all that but there are PLENTY of extremely well made sharp heads on the Market that you could get a bunch more of for much less$$.

Pull the bleeder blade off the Muzzy 220gr Phantoms for a 200gr solid as a rock 2 blade head at a fraction of the cost. Sharp too.

I have Magnus Stingers and Steelforce premiersfor the Longbow, and Muzzy Phantoms and Magnus Snuffers for the recurves........I absolutely don't want for any other broadheads.

I would pick a stinger or a Phantom over the Silver Flames everyday because IMO they'll do everybit as good of a job without damage to the head and you could spend the extra money on some more arrows.
You must've read my mind in mid-change.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be carefull with them Steelforces. I've seen to many of them break inside a deer for me to use them.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Be carefull with them Steelforces. I've seen to many of them break inside a deer for me to use them.
Thanks for the heads up Shultzster........that's the only one of my crop that I am somewhat unfamiliar with at the moment other than they fly great and are sharp as heck. The 125gr Stingers are in the #1 position anyway.

Also I think I might modify my Snufers a bit too.......I was shooting them the other night and dropped one low on a 30 yard shot and hit the "leg bone" on my 3D target. The tip was rolled over beyond recognition so I simply filed it off and turned the long skinny point into a sharp chisel style.
It actually looks pretty good.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 125 gr Magnus Stingers (2-blade) - I had a pass thru shot on 400 lb black bear.

I shoot the heck out them in the backyard. I haven't shot a field point this year.

Quick Reply: Need some advice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.