Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Old Dog/New Trick

Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Old Dog/New Trick

Well, not totally new.......

I've been a glove shooter pretty much from the day I started with traditional archery. I had used a tab with my compound, but I just thought I was supposed to use a glove with a longbow. Tried umpteen different ones and spent (wasted) a bunch of money looking for the right one. Finally settled on the ABS "Super Glove" a few years ago, and all was well--except I went through a couple of gloves a year (when one was just getting broken in good, it started breaking apart).

I'm fortunate to know Rod Jenkins pretty well, and consider him a friend. Rod had suggested I try a Cavalier Elite tab, since one of my main problems has always been getting a decent release. Nahhh--I'd tried a bunch of different tabs too--I was a glove shooter! (insert chest beating here)

Well, last summer Rod gave me one of his extra tabs. I said I'd try it, after hunting season had passed--I was nervous about switching up 6 weeks before season opened. Deer season ended, tournaments were about to start, and I hadn't tried the tab yet......now I'm nervous about swapping around before tournament season. I tried a shot with it here and there, but it didn't feel right so I went back to the glove in no time. Rod had told me "learning to shoot with a tab is a commitment". No kidding.............

Another excuse was he didn't have a finger spacer with his. Actually he did have it, but he had taken it off and didn't have it with him. When I shot a tab, it was with a finger spacer--thought I had to have that. Rod was going to send it to me, but another friend had one (they attach with a couple of tiny screws), so I put it on. Shot a few more, still hated it. Back to the glove.

I was getting a MUCH better release, but it didn't feel right--couldn't get my anchor right, and my consistency was next to non-existent. ARRGGHH!!!!!! Then ithit me--dang finger spacer was in the way--so I took it back off. Tried a few more......this is better.

I've shot a few tournaments with it so far, and the more I use it the better I like it--I never thought it would happen. The main problem I have is it's so slick I let one get away before I really mean to every once in a while, but it's getting better. I think I'm hooked!

Another benefit--Rod showed me the one he's been using for 4 years or better--hardley looks used--and he shoots more in one year than most of us will shoot in several. Not sure his work schedule allows it now, but he was shooting at least4 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do good to get in 4 hours a week!

Anyhow, after all these years of using a glove, I think I'm hooked on a tab. I reckon you can learn something new every once in a while.

Chad
Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Old Dog/New Trick

LBR, I have been going back and forth with a tab and some Gloves Bob-Co sent to me. I liked the glove and shot with one for a short while. I cut some tabs up from scrap leather I picked up from Tandy Leather Co. and have been really pleased with the results! I like a thicker piece of leather, my index finger is very sensitive after hacking it up on a table saw! I don't mind trimming up a tab when the whole piece of scrap leather cost me $4 and I'll get about 6 or 7 tabs from it!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

LBR, I have been going back and forth with a tab and some Gloves Bob-Co sent to me. I liked the glove and shot with one for a short while. I cut some tabs up from scrap leather I picked up from Tandy Leather Co. and have been really pleased with the results! I like a thicker piece of leather, my index finger is very sensitive after hacking it up on a table saw! I don't mind trimming up a tab when the whole piece of scrap leather cost me $4 and I'll get about 6 or 7 tabs from it!
Glad you found something that works Chad!! Thats cool BHF! I use to cut pieces off of my old tanned deer hides and use that but it's just a little to thin for my liking and fingers. I can't remember the company I get mine, there 3 finger under and I'm guessing there about 1/8" thick. Mine has two skinny layers to it.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Cavalier is a great tab--really prevents torquing the string.It does take a little while to get used to it,though
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, I have also been shooting with a tab lately also. I had two made from Bateman (one for my son), both cordovan. Art was helping me with a problem that developed though which was my ring finger was releasing at a slightly different time from the index finger. It was causing me a bunch of pain. I ended up taping the middle finger to the ring finger which seems to be working pretty well.

Anyway, I'm getting very good anchor points and gained 1/2 in draw with the tab. I'll probably stay with it for a while. But I'm more then likely to change again at some point. [8D]

Oh, and I like the finger spacer.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I started with a glove, but switched to a tab at the insistance of a good friend. That was 10 years ago. The cavalier tabs are great tabs, though I perferblack widows cordovan3 under tab myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM

i have tried gloves and tabs but prefer the Benders "no-glove"