Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

brush buttons

Old 02-13-2003, 04:14 AM

Default brush buttons

If the pics I see in bowhunting mags is any indication, not as many recurve shooters are using brush buttons anymore. I know they add weight to the string and that today' s high-tech string materials (which I can' t shoot) are more abrasion resistant, but I' m I missing something else? I have a couple stands in some really nasty stuff and always thought they looked like a sensible, inexpensive accesory that might help with silencing also.
olddogrib
Old 02-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: brush buttons

Don' t know if they help with noise but they are very helpful in the nasty stuff. I walk through some thick brush enroute to my stand and love how I don' t have to stop every few feet to unhook brush from the string. Speed is underrated, you just miss the animal that much quicker.
towerrat
Old 02-13-2003, 08:11 PM

I like them, but yes they are now looked down on for some reason. Not only do they reduce the amount of brush that is snagged, but silence the bow some and gives me a good place to hang the bow without damaging the wood or getting the bow stuck on a nail or hanger.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:14 PM

This is just a guess, but....more people use tree stands today than they did in the good ole days. If you spend most of your time in a tree stand brush buttons aren' t really a necessity.

As was previously stated..they sure are great when you' re in that nasty stuff.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:32 PM

I use the screw in bow hanger in a tree stand and the buttons rest on the hanger. It keeps the hanger from sliding between the bow limb and the string.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:05 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I didn;t put them on right or something, but every time I used them they made the bow louder.

JRW
Old 02-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason,

Did the string eat into the side of the button over a period of time? If so, you didn' t have them installed properly. I had that problem when I was shooting a recurve and it did make more noise.

Bill
Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Lamb,

No, they were slid onto the end serving just far enough to touch the limbs. I only left them on for enough shot to know the sound was louder, then they came off. I' ve tried to play with them since then, but never could get them quiet.

JRW
Old 02-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I quit using brush buttons many years ago. The last time I bought any was somewhere in the early 70' s. There were two types that I remember. One was dark brown and pretty firm. Those did make the bow louder, making an audible sound when they hit the bow on the shot. The other type was flesh colored and soft. They helped cushion the string and kept it from slapping the limb, and that made the bow shoot quieter, but they were so soft they' d break after a couple hundred shots. I just never bought any more after I ran out of them. Can' t say I' ve missed ' em either.