Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Feather Brand, Type and Size???? >

Feather Brand, Type and Size????

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Feather Brand, Type and Size????

Old 02-12-2003, 03:15 PM

Default Feather Brand, Type and Size????

What' s your favorite brand of feather fletches, Gateway or Tru Flight?

What size 5" , 5 1/2" ?

Shield cut, parabolic, or banana?

I had a bad batch of Gateway barred 5" shield cut feathers recently. Couldn' t get them to stick to carbons or alum arrows for nothing. Tried different glues and cleaning methods. Switched to Gateway 5" parabolic no problems????? I like the shield cut but what' s up?
Old 02-12-2003, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Feather Brand, Type and Size????

I like the Gateway a lot better than Trueflight. If you get in touch with Gateway or Trueflight for that matter, I think they will replace your bad feathers. I like 5 1/2" but with my girly pounds, the 5" work better. I like shield cut but the parabolic seem to be quieter and shoot just as good. The problem might be your shafts and not the feathers(just a thought). The new alums. are real slick and some carbons are a bear to get vanes or feathers to stick. I use Duco(.99 at walley world) on wood and have never had a problem if I wait 15 mins. between feathers. Don
Old 02-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Hey CT, what are you prepping the shafts with? I usually wipe my aluminums and gold tips down with fletch-lac thinner before applying the vanes or feathers.
Towerrat
Hunt hard, and pray harder, both offer great rewards.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:01 PM

I used acetone. Then I tryed 000 steel wool followed by acetone. As soon as I switched lots of feathers no problems????
Old 02-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot both Gateway and Tru-flites. I prefer the Gateways for appearance. I like the camo feathers, trebark being my favorite, but also like the yellow and red. Tru-flites are more consistent in how they are cut and the quills don' t need near as much attention as the Gateways do. I shoot 5" shields, but have ordered and like the 5 1/2" shields as well.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:40 PM

5" Tru-Flight shield cut
Old 02-12-2003, 08:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I like 5" sheild cut for the looks, but parabolic is the quietest cut. I usually use Truflight, and chop them myself. On the feathers that won' t stick, you might try this (if you haven' t already). Put the feather in your clamp, wipe the base with acetone, and lightly sand it with fine sandpaper. If that doesn' t work, I have no idea.

Chad
Old 02-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve always used Gateway because that' s what' s available to me. I' ve to go clear up to Cabelas to get ahold of feathers. I use 5" RW and it seems like everyone around here carries LW. I like the way the shields look versus the parabolic also. It seems like Truflight doesn' t have the selections I want either. They have certain colours in solid, but you can' t get those colours in barred. Or they' ll have certain colours is barred, but you can' t get them in solids. I just recently had that problem with Gateway so I' m just going with all three feathers as sun yellow solid. I don' t know what you' ns are talking about as far as having trouble with ' em stickin; or why you go through all that trouble of preping the shafts and quills. I just go straight at it. I use fletch tape and don' t worry about cleaning anything off. Only times I have a problem is if I have too much glue or something on my hands, or there' s two much on the shaft. Same with fletching cement.

Brandan
Old 02-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Tru-Flight.I get full-length feathers and burn the profile I want.Most of the time I' ll burn shields but occassionally,I burn bananas or pope' s.I cut them down to 4.75" and get really decent flight with them.I do like the colors and patterns of the Gateways better,though.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:44 AM

LBR, I' m going to try you suggestion. If it doesn' t work, I' m going to buy a batch of Tru Flight and try them out. I' m going to get the 5 1/2" Shield cut. Thanks everyone for the help